Evergreen vs. Super LE Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AnonymousTumnus

Mar 19, 2023
United States
Hi all,

I currently have a VT Castings Defiant, 1610 Non-Cat stove. Some parts are damaged and it will run me around $2,200 in total. I'm leaning towards replacing the stove entirely with either a Lopi Evergreen or Pacific Energy Super LE, which are both a step down from the Defiant in terms of size. The Evergreen will cost $2,800 as it qualifies to the tax credit, whereas the Super LE will run $4,000.

My stovepipe and chimney setup is unique in that it has 1x 90 degree elbow in the stovepipe, 1x 45 degree turn in the masonry wall before exiting into an external chimney, then does another 90 degree and goes up about 22'. No problems at all with maintaining a draft with the Defiant with the damper open, however, it may lead to problems once the air control is turned down and/or damper is closed on a new stove.

Questions:
-The two stoves perform comparably in terms of performance, but is there one that is better for maintaining draft when the damper and/or air control is turned down for the secondary burn?
-Are there inherit problems in either stove, that would make me lean one way?

Thanks

I got my SIL a 2019 PE T5 (Super size.) It breathes like a distance runner in a hammock--very easily. 😏 16' chimney, straight up.
I think the Super would do OK on 22', despite the turns. Not sure how easy the Evergreen breathes. That's the secondary-only version, not the hybrid?

I got my SIL a 2019 PE T5 (Super size.) It breathes like a distance runner in a hammock--very easily. 😏 16' chimney, straight up.
I think the Super would do OK on 22', despite the turns. Not sure how easy the Evergreen breathes. That's the secondary-only version, not the hybrid?
Yeah, the Evergreen is just the secondary combustion

The main difference between the two stoves is that the PE Super has a square firebox that can be loaded N/S or E/W. The Evergreen is primarily an E/W loader unless the splits are short (12"). The Lopi Endeavor with its square firebox is a much closer comparison.

The main difference between the two stoves is that the PE Super has a square firebox that can be loaded N/S or E/W. The Evergreen is primarily an E/W loader unless the splits are short (12"). The Lopi Endeavor with its square firebox is a much closer comparison.
The N/S loading is a nice feature and something to consider, however, I'm primarily concerned about performance, draft management, and any problems noted between the two stoves. Unfortunately, there aren't many reviews about the Evergreen since it's relatively new.

My Super LE is not square and can only be loaded N/S. I think their "Summit" version can be loaded in both directions?

The Super firebox is 18" deep by 18" wide. It will take a standard 16" split loaded in either direction. The Summit firebox is larger at 20" x 19".

Something is not right then. Mine is about 15 inches wide.
Do the side firebricks sit on top of the floor bricks or alongside of them? If the former, then that would explain this and you are correct.

Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 8.11.35 PM.png

Last edited:
The side bricks sit on top of the bottom bricks. 15 inches wide. I'll save some of my short splits (14" or less) to be laid EW in the back (as a sleeper log, if that's the correct term) if I haven't stacked the wood high in the box.

My stovepipe and chimney setup is unique in that it has 1x 90 degree elbow in the stovepipe, 1x 45 degree turn in the masonry wall before exiting into an external chimney, then does another 90 degree and goes up about 22'. No problems at all with maintaining a draft with the Defiant with the damper open, however, it may lead to problems once the air control is turned down and/or damper is closed on a new stove.
Any lengths of horizontal pipe between those elbows? If so, do they have upward slope of 1/4" per foot?

Need glue boards for Thursday. Going to pick up at Lesco.
Rodent issues? ;)
Me, I'm compelled to capture them, transport them miles away, then release them, since when I'm confronted with rodent intrusion, I wonder whether I'd enjoy being stuck to a glue board. I decide that I would not, so I go to plan B.
But don't think for a minute that I'm a total tree-hugging lover of all living things. I might hang an insect glue board, if I could be assured that only mosquitos and ticks would contact it. 😈 Or I might take one of my captured rodents far out into the bean fields, then release the invader when I see a hawk circling overhead. 🐤😏

Last edited:
Lol. Oops, not sure how that text got on here! I’ve got a day of commercial stops on Thursday. Lots of Tin Cat rodent/insect monitors.

We’re about ready to lose all the snow and get into insects. I like to get new glue boards, fly lights, etc where they’re needed to keep as much out of the food prep areas as possible.

I spent the day calling venders to find out what products cost this year. Tick and organic products skyrocketed!

The side bricks sit on top of the bottom bricks. 15 inches wide. I'll save some of my short splits (14" or less) to be laid EW in the back (as a sleeper log, if that's the correct term) if I haven't stacked the wood high in the box.
Thanks for clarifying this. My next-door neighbor has the Spectrum and tells me he can load E/W but apparently, that must be with 14" splits. Duly noted.

Thanks for clarifying this. My next-door neighbor has the Spectrum and tells me he can load E/W but apparently, that must be with 14" splits. Duly noted.
I thought I measured the 2019 T5 and concluded that a 15" split would fit. I'm not going to cut any special since all other stoves I feed take 16", but I may save out some shorties if I come across them while splitting, just to try out E-W in that stove.
In the Keystone cat I run, E-W is versatile. I can stack a split in the middle row, right up to the cat scoop, and force more airwash down, to ignite the front of the load more if desired. I don't think that would work as much with the T5 since the secondary would fire up and start the entire top of the load.

Last edited: