inspired me with this talk about turbulators, so I had to try.
In my basement I quickly spotted a 5.25” long chunk of spare 6” diameter black stove pipe, that unfolds to a circumference of about 19”. I used tin snips and cut it along the black lines shown in this drawing. A couple shots of CAD to give an idea of the intent. Many chances for the fins to catch air at the center and bring it to the HX tube surface, but without blocking the ability of the gases to pass through to the flue.
The fins were easy to bend to shape with my (gloved) hands, and I gave the piece a twist between each stage of fins. I test-fit it into a scrap piece of 6” ductwork, no problems. Finally, it slid into place very easily. The HX cover is held in place with a bolt (shown) that obscured a straight shot into the HX tube, but this redneck turbulator easily flexed around it.
I just got it installed 15 minutes ago, so no news yet. We’ll see if I can tell a difference.
It’s quite crude, but it was worthwhile because it was easy to do, easy to adapt the design (or do over) if I wanted to, required almost no tools or skill using cheap and available material, and will make an excellent addition to my neighbor’s windchime collection if I don’t want it.
Plus, it should be just as easy to do the same for the 2 outside tubes if I desire, even though their diameter is smaller.
Anyways, maybe this will encourage someone to try who is hesitant that great skill or materials or welding would be required.
View attachment 171404
View attachment 171405
View attachment 171406
View attachment 171407
View attachment 171408
View attachment 171409
View attachment 171410