Everything Drolet Tundra - Heatmax...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
$1000 isn't horrible but it looks like it was abused. View attachment 239691

I saw the post for this furnace.....looking at the other pictures, it was probably burned with unseasoned wood and an oversized chimney. Don't know what generation the furnace is, however I doubt it's been burned hot enough to cause any damage. No wonder they switched and moved to pellets...lol.
Screenshot_20190203-213134_Facebook.jpg

I saw the post for this furnace.....looking at the other pictures, it was probably burned with unseasoned wood and an oversized chimney. Don't know what generation the furnace is, however I doubt it's been burned hot enough to cause any damage. No wonder they switched and moved to pellets...lol.
View attachment 240096

No doubt, does that look rough lol. Not only did they not burn hot enough probably didn't even use seasoned wood... didn't even have the decency to put a coffee tin under that mess. ;sick

Btw looks like a first gen.

Btw looks like a first gen.
Yeah, T1, but not the very first version, as it has the snap switch up on the top instead of on the back like mine did...or I guess it could have been retrofit updated, SBI sent the kits out to those who asked for them. Either way, yeah, that one was run hard and put away wet...or maybe not even put away...almost looks like it spent a few nights outside! ;lol

Reactions: sloeffle
Regarding the Tundra II heat output cycle...

With the Fire Chief FC1500 the unit throws out a ton of heat for the first 3-4 hours, then drop off to what the thermostat is set to.

Is this the same for the Tundra? Does the unit take off for X amount of hours, only to drop off at some point. Or is the heat output always right around the thermostat set point?

Your gonna have a peak on any solid fuel fired heater...less so with cat stoves maybe, but still a peak. (and maybe not so much with pellet burners)
The hottest part of the burn is usually about 1-2 hours in...building up to that point, and slowly tapering down after. The main difference is you will still have some heat being put out for 8-10-12 hours, depending on what, and how much you load...especially so if you have the temp and speed control mods installed. You will not have a cold firebox in 5-6 hours...unless you only load just a few small sticks or something like that.

Reactions: JRHAWK9
Also keep in mind when you speed control your blower it will keep plenum temps as high as it can.

For instance, just tonight, with it set on minimum burn, I was seeing max plenum temps (119° - 120°) from the 2 to 3 hour mark into a 4.5 hour burn, which is when the damper started opening off and on. They were at least 117° throughout the whole burn. I reloaded on a coffee can amount of coals after 4.5 hours with plenum temps still at 116.X°. Speed controlling the blower is what really helps keep consistent plenum temps. Well, consistent for a wood furnace anyway. I'm sure the controlled burn of the Kuuma helps as well.

Reactions: brenndatomu
That must have only been what, a 15-20 # load of wood?

It's been warmer here (25°-35°) the past 24-36 hours, so I started a fire in a luke warm firebox at about 5pm, so it was 30lbs. Fires from scratch are just not as efficient as loading on a bed of coals. May have been a bit more than a coffee can, it's always hard for me to judge coals going off of memory after the fact. Maybe a gallon...I dunno. ;hm It's dropping tonight, low of -5° with -22° wind chills. It's 6° right now. Hence why I loaded with firebox temps as high as they were. :)

It's been warmer here (25°-35°) the past 24-36 hours, so I started a fire in a luke warm firebox at about 5pm, so it was 30lbs. Fires from scratch are just not as efficient as loading on a bed of coals. May have been a bit more than a coffee can, it's always hard for me to judge coals going off of memory after the fact. Maybe a gallon...I dunno. ;hm It's dropping tonight, low of -5° with -22° wind chills. It's 6° right now. Hence why I loaded with firebox temps as high as they were. :)

Hopefully we start getting some nice weather soon. Still haven't gotten any mild temperature since the polar vortex. :confused:

Last night -24f with -38f wind chills. Have been doing about 3 loads per day in this weather with a few days able to do 12/12.

Tundra has been doing everything I need and so far very pleased with after nearly a whole winter with the furnace.

I will admit after checking out a few guys indoor boiler units might be leaning in that direction after a couple years. Nothing wrong with wood furnaces I'd just like to heat my detatchedgarage at the same time without two solid burning appliances. Alot of possiblitys and things to tinker with. ::-)

Last edited:
Tundra has been doing everything I need and so far very pleased with after nearly a whole winter with the furnace.

I will admit after checking out a few guys indoor boiler units might be leaning in that direction after a couple years. Nothing wrong with wood furnaces I'd just like to heat my detatchedgarage at the same time without two solid burning appliances. Alot of possiblitys and things to tinker with. ::-)

Same here. Looking at boiler and 1000 gallons of storage, one fire to tend to heat main house and shop vs firing up to three independent stoves/furnaces.
Trick is to put it together with out spending $10k or more.

The Tundra has been a great interim solution, no regrets and owes me nothing.

Huge money but would be lots of fun.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Hopefully we start getting some nice weather soon. Still haven't gotten any mild temperature since the polar vortex. :confused:

Last night -24f with -38f wind chills.

You are in another world, in terms of cold, living up there! ;lol

So was it here, or somewhere else that I remember reading about a Tundra T1 owner that had the official crack repair procedure from SBI and either posted it, or was willing to as needed? I can't seem to find it anywhere...

Hi everyone, im hoping i could get some advice. Im building a new home in Australia and the size is 315 square metres (3400 square feet if think) ( my house plans are attached). Here in Australia we are very limited in regard to the drolet tundra availability however, ive found a company selling one here.. https://myfireplaceaustralia.com.au/au_en/tundra-wood-furnace-df02005?xlan=heaters the shop is saying this unit a euro DF02005 model and they also said it is a tundra 2 model, but to me it looks more like the original earlier model, but im not 100% sure. I was hoping there maybe someone with more experience who can ...

1. Explain what model DF02005 model this is and is it the one that cracks?

2. Also i need a minimum or 8 ducts to heat our house (but really 9 or 10 ducts) The guy at the shop initially said it would do heat six ducts (rooms), but when i told him i need more he back peddled and said it could do 8 plus. I read that the tundra 2 model can do 10 ducts, but im not sure about this model and ive read their user manual here https://d3rwe0jvtsa9tq.cloudfront.n...t/products_documents/EN-45730A_23-11-2017.pdf but it doesn't state how many ducts the unit can accommodate.

Im really wanting a tundra but im worried this unit wont accommodate the size of house and amount of ducts we need and if its the original tundra that had issues or the newer tundra 2. You feedback would be so much appreciated. Kind regards Geoff

Attachments

• 17-0347-WD (Rev A).pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 350
Climate & heat loss would play as big a part as square footage. Have you done any heat loss calcs?

I haven't been there, but always kind of thought Aus was kind of mild?

Hi everyone, im hoping i could get some advice. Im building a new home in Australia and the size is 315 square metres (3400 square feet if think) ( my house plans are attached). Here in Australia we are very limited in regard to the drolet tundra availability however, ive found a company selling one here.. https://myfireplaceaustralia.com.au/au_en/tundra-wood-furnace-df02005?xlan=heaters the shop is saying this unit a euro DF02005 model and they also said it is a tundra 2 model, but to me it looks more like the original earlier model, but im not 100% sure. I was hoping there maybe someone with more experience who can ...

1. Explain what model DF02005 model this is and is it the one that cracks?

2. Also i need a minimum or 8 ducts to heat our house (but really 9 or 10 ducts) The guy at the shop initially said it would do heat six ducts (rooms), but when i told him i need more he back peddled and said it could do 8 plus. I read that the tundra 2 model can do 10 ducts, but im not sure about this model and ive read their user manual here https://d3rwe0jvtsa9tq.cloudfront.n...t/products_documents/EN-45730A_23-11-2017.pdf but it doesn't state how many ducts the unit can accommodate.

Im really wanting a tundra but im worried this unit wont accommodate the size of house and amount of ducts we need and if its the original tundra that had issues or the newer tundra 2. You feedback would be so much appreciated. Kind regards Geoff
Your model numbers appear to be different than ours...this looks like a T1 to me...

I think you'd be able to heat with this model, assuming you insulate the house well, which I assume occurs in Australia. It looks like Melbourne is about as far south as you can get, the 37th southern parallel, which is about equivalent to the north border of Tennessee for us. Which can use some heat in the winter but isn't a deep freeze

@3fordasho is well north of our 45th parallel (if I recall correctly), and heats 3400 sq ft with his Tundra on all but the very coldest days.

Does anyone have experience with the heat pack. It's the only size I can get that will fit through my basement door. My house is 2 stories with a 6' 6" basement. First floor is open design 500 sq ft 2nd floor as well.

Does anyone have experience with the heat pack. It's the only size I can get that will fit through my basement door. My house is 2 stories with a 6' 6" basement. First floor is open design 500 sq ft 2nd floor as well.
@Mojappa has one...sounds like the Heatpack should do the job for ya, at least unless you have no insulation.
Do you have dry wood for it? Not "seasoned" like most all the firewood sellers have, actually dry.

Last edited:
@Mojappa has one...sounds like the Heatpack should do the job for ya, at least unless you have no insulation.
Do you have dry wood for it? Not "seasoned" like most all the firewood sellers have, actually dry.

I have oak thsts been split for 3 years in a pile. I've been splitting smaller and stacking loose to hopefully get the remaining moisture out before it gets cold. By the sounds of it I'm hoping 4 or 5 cords max will do it for this small house. I just renovated. So insulation is pretty good. Any pieces that I can see real moisture in I've been tossing to the side for my fathers boiler..

ill be back soon with a ton more questions about set up I'm sure. I've been reading this entire thread just about for tips. And a lot of it is hard to grasp. I'm just scared about the investment and all the cracks I've been reading about.

Last edited:
Good for you on the wood supply!
It sounds like this machine should be fine for your house then...and the cracking issue was on first gen Tundra/Heatmax only as far as I have ever heard.

Reactions: sloeffle
It sounds like this machine should be fine for your house then...and the cracking issue was on first gen Tundra/Heatmax only
It sounds like this machine should be fine for your house then...and the cracking issue was on first gen Tundra/Heatmax only as far as I have ever heard.
logged our land 6 years ago and they pulled close to 40 cord of tops. My old man uses a wood master at his house. 2 winters ago we cut and split all of it. It's been rained on and snowed on but I think splitting it and stacking it should have it pretty damn close to what's called for.

Last edited:
Just get a cover over top of the wood you want to use this year before the rainy/snowy season starts...the sides can be open for air flow, but keeping moisture from going down through from the top helps a lot