Everything I needed to know I learned from Hearth.com

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SeaSky

I remember swearing decades ago that anything I put into a fireplace turned instantly fireproof. Wood is supposed to burn, right? Yet years later I still didn't quite get it...that this whole thing of burning wood efficiently really depends on a systems approach. Someone once wrote here, "draft doesn't come with your stove"...and likely perfectly seasoned wood doesn't either. This year I am on my second EPA type stove and finally feel that the total system is finally coming together. Admittedly, it took a long time and took a lot of begging, borrowing, and "stealing" wood burning techniques from those who had learned these lessons a long time ago.

This is what I wish I knew back then:

1. Green wood is as useful to a stove as crude oil is to a car. I learned here that my oak really needs two years of seasoning.

2. Just because that old black box looks like a stove does not necessarily mean it should be installed in your home. I am amazed at the engineering and efficiency of the new ones.

3. One's "wood distribution system" needs to work for you, not against your effort to heat. I finally got some nice rows of future fuel (three years ahead) and you guys convinced me to build a wood shed (albeit modest in size, but awesomely handy)

4. Get the right size stove in the first place (my first mistake)--wow what a difference that makes in labor! Too small a stove is so much more tedious than a one sized for an overnight.

5. If one chooses not to install the stove oneself, take the time to find the very best stove shop and reward them with your hard earned money.

6. Be a wood burning "intern" first by perusing around sites like this one before running out and buying that first stove...and wood too.

7. It takes more time than you think to really get to know your stove.. It's taken me at least several months so far to adjust to the new one...and still learning.

There's more, but you get the idea.

And if you don't mind, I wanted to post again a picture of how it all turned out.

Eric

Attachments

• stove-3.jpg
    stove-3.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 225
Good post Eric.

One thing I would add would be to get your fuel long before you get your stove. As you have found out, it takes time for wood to be ready to burn properly. Also, when installing, you should already own your chimney cleaning brush and poles. That way you think about cleaning when installing so you aren't surprised later on about how difficult it can be if the flue is not straight.

Thank you Dennis. Yes, two great additional points. It took me a few years to finally stock my "seasoning farm" with sufficiently wood and now I'm finally reaping the rewards. My savings-grace in the beginning was a wood supplier who actually sold seasoned wood that was...imagine that, really seasoned wood--it burned nicely and was rewarded with a very little creosote at the end of the year as proof. I was lucky to find him. I did finally spring for a professional grade cleaning kit per the recommendation of my most recent installer. I got the same exact equipment he had and told me how to nurse it through the two 45 degree angles--not ideal but it works. That offset could not be avoided as it was due to a terribly inconveniently placed Joist. Certainly the builder should have known that I was going put a stove exactly there 15 years later!

Eric, you were very lucky to find seasoned wood. Now all you have to do is stay ahead of the game every year.

I hear you about those builders. They should know what we plan on 15-20 years from now! lol

I am presently two years ahead on my oak (just love that long burn) and even thinking of adding yet one or two more additional years supply in the spring. That makes me sleep better in the event I burn through more than anticipated in a harder winter.

Yep, this is a great site, many good folks here willing to help out. Before I visited here I use to think firewood would be fine to burn if processed in Spring and burned by Fall, but learned scrounging at least 2 years ahead makes a world of difference. The family and neighbors think I've lost my marbles with all this firewood but I don't care cuz I know I'll be warm come winter and there are others here with the same addiction to support my habbit.

I too had a neighbor who questioned why I bought all this wood. But she thought that I wasn't even using my stove because she hardly ever saw any smoke coming out of my chimney (I burn four days a week!). I call that a success.

No smoke, no fire...most people still believe that, though I can see why. I often drive to work though several valleys that collect all the nasty smoke that some of my distant neighbors produce by terribly inefficient burning. These are stoves or burning habits that cause the environmental groups to get up in arms. Unfortunately, such groups have a nasty habit of grossly over-simplify the problem by condemning all wood stoves. Yet, I think most of us lovers of individual liberty here dislike those smoky dragons as much as anyone. Even a well designed older stove with nice dry wood and hot fire would burn much cleaner than those poor examples.

My headline for this post is really saying that anyone who is interested in refining their burning technique, that information is all right here at Hearth.com and similar sites like Woodhead.org. With such good help, literally at our finger tips, we all win in the end, so that we can be a considerate neighbor, good steward of the environment, and consume less wood from our hard earned woodpile.

When a nice couple purchased my original Lopi for their cottage, I spent about two hours talking about the nuance of burning and wood piles, gave them all the documentation of the stove, invited them to call me with any questions, gave them Hearth.com address to learn more, and recommended they shop around for a good installer...otherwise how would they know where to begin? As they were definitely into leaning as much as they could, I know they'll do great.

Eric

PS: About my neighbor: she also could not resist commenting that my rows of wood were so straight she asked right out if I had OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder)! She's a really sweet gal, but...egads, do straight wood piles = mental health issues! I explained that straight rows are real easy to do once you get into the rhythm (sorry, no diagnosis necessary)...and crooked ones fall down! By George, I think I convinced her!

Status
Not open for further replies.