Everything Max Caddy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's a few grams of smoke equate to in wood consumption, not much.

Laynes’s firebox is rated for 6.6 gr/hr of particulates. Let’s say he averages 12 hrs burning per day from Nov-March. Worst case that comes to 21 lb/yr of soot that was lost heat.

We’re talking 4-5 splits of wood. For the whole year. Not enough for me to worry about.

Laynes that is a smoken deal, I'm a bit jealous. :ZZZMy ductwork cost me a grand and that was at cost with me installing it. !!!
I love a good deal.
And back when he got that machine the Kuuma was probably only $3500...metal prices n all

Reactions: STIHLY DAN
Laynes that is a smoken deal, I'm a bit jealous. :ZZZMy ductwork cost me a grand and that was at cost with me installing it. !!!
I love a good deal.
Yeah.....$1200 after rebates for the furnace, custom stainless 32' rigid liner with stainless chimney top and cap $400 (amish) and a couple hundred in sheetmetal and wiring.

Reactions: JRHAWK9
I didn't "settle", I bought exactly what I wanted. The previous furnace would fill a 5 gallon bucket of creosote in a month at times, and it consumed more than twice the wood I do now. There's nothing magic about the Kuuma, it's controlled by a computer. You feel just because a furnace isn't computer controlled, it's not efficient. What's a few grams of smoke equate to in wood consumption, not much. The Caddy line of furnaces are very efficient, and offer the long clean burns that the competitors offer.

That's not even a fair comparison though comparing today's technology to, what, the 1800's? Do you compare your new car purchases to the Model A? :p LOL I prefer to tighten up the scale a bit to at least the last 20 years. ;)
I totally agree, there's nothing magical about it, besides, magic is nothing but deception anyway. It definitely is the computer which makes all the difference and keeps the firebox in the perfect scenario in order to burn almost everything leaving nothing to create creosote from. It removes all guesswork out of it and the guesswork is what may lead to non-optimal burn which leads to in-efficiency and creosote. It's not that the furnace is in-efficient in itself, it's the human interaction it needs at times which makes it not as efficient as it could be based on the technology available today. There are a bunch of gassers out there which also don't form any creosote. It's not like it'a new thing.

Anyway, I have a bad habit of playing devil's advocate and sticking my nose where it doesn't necessarily belong....lol I mainly do this for those who are maybe Googling things looking for furnaces and wanting to document some real input from real users about their units and how they may differ. I know when I was looking for furnaces I didn't find much comparing the Kuuma to the Caddy. I do have a purpose other than to un-purposely ruffle a few feathers....lol

Bottom line is, chances are you are going to be happy with whatever you purchase, as one doesn't normally have the means to purchase two different brands, run them side by side and decide which one works best for their situation. I know back when I was looking at cameras, you can find a bazillion good consumer reviews for almost everything out there. Those meant nothing to me, as they had nothing, or very little, to compare to. What I found was a -WEBSITE- of professionals that put those cameras through a bunch of tests and were able to scientifically compare different cameras. Some may call this micro-analyzing, I call it caveat emptor. ;em

Laynes’s firebox is rated for 6.6 gr/hr of particulates. Let’s say he averages 12 hrs burning per day from Nov-March. Worst case that comes to 21 lb/yr of soot that was lost heat.

We’re talking 4-5 splits of wood. For the whole year. Not enough for me to worry about.

I don't think you can compute things that way. I don't think smoke is a particulate. Anyway, it's not that, it's having to clean your chimney and scraping the HX clean of creosote which I would not like. You are not going to get all of it every year so there will be areas which will buildup over the years. Like I said though, if this was the best one could do then so be it, but it's not. Having to clean chimneys once a year will be a thing of the past, it's up to manufactures to take advantage of the technology available and just do it. If a small family run business in N MN can do it I'm sure a major corporation can also do it. All I did last year was simply vacuum my HX and the fly-ash came right off and I was left with bare metal. :) I saw absolutely zero black colored anything anywhere in the HX or chimney....and believe me I looked with a mirror and flashlight trying to find something....lol This is also with burning ~25% MC wood towards the end of the heating season by mistake.

I don't think you can compute things that way. I don't think smoke is a particulate. Anyway, it's not that, it's having to clean your chimney and scraping the HX clean of creosote which I would not like.

I had thought particulates for a wood burner meant unburnt fuel including smoke, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure why else they would care only about particulates and not smoke, but now that you mention it I'm not positive on it. Also good point that cleaning is extra work that would be nice to avoid. Another point is the time it takes periodically to clean HX tubes to allow less wood to be burned to put heat into the house.

I'm still ok with my Tundra for now, but it's also a learning experience as is everything.

I had thought particulates for a wood burner meant unburnt fuel including smoke, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure why else they would care only about particulates and not smoke, but now that you mention it I'm not positive on it. Also good point that cleaning is extra work that would be nice to avoid. Another point is the time it takes periodically to clean HX tubes to allow less wood to be burned to put heat into the house.

I also could be wrong, but I always considered "smoke" to be all unburned fuel which acts as the carrier for the actual particulates (which are also unburned fuel). I have always thought particulates were solids (which is how their mass can be easily measured) while the rest is a vapor. ????

BTW, I attached some photos of a forum members HX from a Kuuma. These are not mine, but is an accurate representation of a Kuuma HX, as mine looks the same way. The black you see is poor lighting in those areas. All you see is that super light weight white/gray fly-ash stuff which very easily vacuums right off. Not a single bit of crusty anything. This, I believe, was also taken in the beginning of January, so it too had numerous cold starts during the fall season.

image.jpeg image1.jpeg

It's unfortunate this turned into a kumma versus max caddy thread . The title doesn't mention anything about a kumma last I checked .lets not muddy up the thread for those wishing to learn about the caddy lineup and stay on topic

sorry, it's my fault. I'm the king of thread derailment....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.