Exhaust vent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Weeshwe

Aug 12, 2017
WA
I was wondering since a pellet stove exhaust is forced out, would it be ok to run horizontal through the wall and then a 90' down with 2ft through my deck? I am thinking no but this is the only location I have downstairs. Or does anyone know if composite decking is considered non combustible? Thanks

I can't say for sure but I'm betting drafting down is a no-no. Re: the decking, I'll stick my neck out here and say it is combustible. I'd put a match on a junk piece if you have one or call the manufacturer.

I wouldn't want the combustion byproducts trapped under my deck. Trying to vent hot exhaust gasses downwards will not work well, if at all.

Must always have a rise never go down.

Reactions: vinny11950
Thanks for the reply's, what if I were to lay down sheet metal on the deck where it would be vented? Then I could remove it for summers and when the deck would be used.

You are not allowed to vent downward - like Rod mentioned in post 4. If the power goes out, that smoke is going to back up into the house for sure. It may even backup into the house with the right atmospheric conditions with the power on.

Go back to the stove manual and the pellet stove pipe manual and follow their recommended install instructions. I am pretty sure you will fail inspection if you do it your way. And failing inspection means insurance will not cover a fire caused by the stove. Remember to get a town permit and tell the insurance company about it with certified mail letter. Most importantly, your life and your family's lives depend on doing it right - no shortcuts.

If you want venting ideas, post a sketch and some pictures of the situation. You will get some good input from people here.