EXPANSION TANK PIPEING

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimdeq

Apr 23, 2010
northeastern wisconsin
I have a sx-160 monster extrol expansion tank (43 gallon acceptance). The plumbing size on the bottom of the tank is 1-1/4". Does my plumbing have to be a certain size for a expansion tank. Will 1/2" or 3/4" pipeing from the boiler/tanks loop to expansion work or is larger pipeing better? Also, If my boiler is in the attached garage and the pressurized storage tanks and most of the pipeing are in the basement, what is the best place to tee in the expansion tank and should it be as high or low as possible? I can place it up in the garage with the boiler or in the basement.

jimdeq said:
I have a sx-160 monster extrol expansion tank (43 gallon acceptance). The plumbing size on the bottom of the tank is 1-1/4". Does my plumbing have to be a certain size for a expansion tank. Will 1/2" or 3/4" pipeing from the boiler/tanks loop to expansion work or is larger pipeing better?

Short answer, 1/2" iron, copper, or pex should be a lot bigger than what you need. Long answer, it depends on the flow rate to and from the tank, and the pipe needs to big enough such that there is an acceptably small pressure drop at the maximum flow rate. See chapter B3 http://www.amtrol.com/enginhandbook.htm.

Also, If my boiler is in the attached garage and the pressurized storage tanks and most of the pipeing are in the basement, what is the best place to tee in the expansion tank and should it be as high or low as possible? I can place it up in the garage with the boiler or in the basement.
Without more information it's hard to say what the optimum tee-in point would be for your system, but it's easy enough to warn against teeing-in on the discharge side of any pump that will be pumping any significant head.

What matters about the elevation of the tee-in point is making sure that air won't accumulate under the diaphragm. As long as air bubbles will have no opportunity or inclination (pun intended) to travel up into the SX-160 you're good.

Refer to the Amtrol installation guide and/or consult a heating/plumbing systems professional that is familiar with floor-mounted expansion tanks.

--ewd

you want to put the tank wherever your fill is located. The expansion tank is the point in your system of "no pressure change". In an ideal situation it's on the inlet side of the circulator and also where the fill valve ties in to.

Status
Not open for further replies.