Experience with Alternative septic drainfields?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
30k for a spetic system... my last job before i left we installed a 3 tank system plus pump chamber and about 800ft of drain line and field line 300-400 feet of power cable and our cost was about 10g plus labour came no ware need a 30 g price tag and this was enough to meet code for 6 new modular homes...
Like I said it's a racket. And that 30K is for the drainage field only! Every home for sale fails septic inspection and when they're done you see a big mound with PCV sticking out

man i need to move down their and open a business i could make a killing their ..LOL

There are areas around South East Wisconsin where the ground is mostly Clay- most do not pass current codes if the current system fails and about the only thing the DNR approves nowdays seems to be the mound systems. Soil type and size of lot have a lot to do with it.

Mounds are pretty much standard in my area. We have thin layer of topsoil with hard pan glacial till underneath. There needs to be 4' from the top of the seasonal high water table to bottom of the leach header. Most homes have far less than that. That is why the Presby design was popular, they need much less space for leaching which means less gravel to haul in.

There could be something to the EnviroTube issue. I had one installed 3 years ago. No problems but a contractor said that there was some issue with the company designing and selling the tubes and what they were really designed to handle (bumped into him this year). Further details are hearsay so I will stop there. Point is, I will be getting mine pumped every year as opposed to every two, at least while my kids are at home.
Edit: Going to add a few things. The grit size for the sand in these fields are important. Had a septic designer tell me that. It is a very specific grit. The other thing is, we all use our fields differently. I am a miser.. no cooking fat, no flushable wipes and i throw my snot rags in the waste bucket. Some families, especially if they move from cities with sewer systems, into a home with a septic system, can be brutal on the system.

Last edited:
Reactions: johneh
The last time I was pumped(last Year) guy said worst thing is soap ie shampoo and the rest. As far as the fill for the field some travel all the way to so jersey to get special? fill