Experimenting with camera settings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigcube

Feb 27, 2008
Upstate NY
Every time I try to get a good pic of the stove burning with a good secondary flame the flash "sees" through the flames. I was trying different settings to get the pic fast and no flash. See what you think :cheese:
GoodBurnPic1.jpg

GoodBurnPic2.jpg

I had to play with the brightness and contrast in photoshop to clean it up from the camera.

There's an icon on your camera that looks like a lightning bolt hit it until you get that ghost-buster logo(circle with forward slash) then you can take a nice pic without flash...comes in handy shooting threw a window too.

Turn off the flash
If you have manual settings:
Use the widest aperature setting and raise ISO to get a faster shutter to "freeze" the flames.
Manual focus on the flames
Using a slow shutter and tripod in low light can make some neat effects too.

Status
Not open for further replies.