Exploding wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NATE379 said:
I wouldn't even think twice about throwing in a splash of kero or diesel into a stove to get it going. Sure I'll agree it's not the "best" thing to use but it is what it is. I don't with my stove just because I'm not bring fuel inside the house. Wouldn't even take one drip spilled to stink up the whole place. If the stove was in my garage it wouldn't bother me at all.

I just don't understand how that would cause an explosion. Like I said in the other post, I don't think someone would be pouring in several gallons, though even still when it ignites it's not really an explosive force anyway.

Have to wonder if maybe the "kerosene" was actually "gasoline"?

I think heat was involved. The article said he was trying to "restart" the stove. If it was already warm, maybe even filled with some wood smoke, and the kerosene became vapors, when a flame finally ignited it could be the mother of all puffbacks.

In the instances where I have built or maintained fuel farms the mantra was low volatility fuels like diesel and kerosene took on the flash point of even the most minute amount of high volatility contaminants.

My thought is the gentleman may have inadvertently put kerosene into a container that may have held gasoline.

Awful for him and his family. Burn wounds are horrible. Be safe everyone.

I'm going with the kero actually staeming off into a gas and then when a flame started.FLASHPOINT! I have thrown a cup off gas onto a lit cigarette and put it out.(EXPERIMENT)Would ya dup kero out of a can and then throw a match in it? Not me.Fumes are what cause the hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.