Modify an older heatalator style fireplace for a wood stoveH

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jubaru125

New Member
Oct 3, 2026
1
Connecticut
I recently moved into an old (late 1700s) house which has an old fireplace. From my research it seems to be a hetalator style with metal surrounding the firebox. I'd like to modify it so that I can I can install a wood stove with a chimney liner. It looks like I will have to do some cutting at a minimum to get the damper out. I'm looking for any guidance here, especially so I don't create myself a problem.
would it be best to just cut the damper out and use an oval liner or cut further down and use the full round liner? I attached some pictures which show the current setup. I can provide additional pictures if needed. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you
 

Attachments

  • [Hearth.com] Modify an older heatalator style fireplace for a wood stoveH
    IMG_7299.webp
    417.4 KB · Views: 4
  • [Hearth.com] Modify an older heatalator style fireplace for a wood stoveH
    IMG_7298.webp
    413.1 KB · Views: 3
  • [Hearth.com] Modify an older heatalator style fireplace for a wood stoveH
    IMG_7297.webp
    198.2 KB · Views: 3
  • [Hearth.com] Modify an older heatalator style fireplace for a wood stoveH
    IMG_7296.webp
    231.8 KB · Views: 4
  • [Hearth.com] Modify an older heatalator style fireplace for a wood stoveH
    IMG_7295.webp
    391.6 KB · Views: 3
If this is a properly installed heatform style fireplace, then it's ok to cut out a section to clear the round liner after the damper is removed.

There are several past threads on this type of installation. Search on "heatform" to bring them up.
 
Do insulate the liner for both performance and safety.