Extended hearth floor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjcole50

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2013
Ohio
Anyone know of a tile or slate rock flooring that can be put around a hearth? We will be re doing the floor and that section of tile as well. I would need it to be very tough since I do cut kindling / split small rounds every now and the n

I can't think of anything short of a concrete floor that would do the job your asking. tile and slate will crack. Even my 2" field stone would have trouble over time with that abuse.

Even concrete won't stand up to splitting wood. One miss with the ax/maul and you can picture what the floor will look like. I don't think it would matter how careful you are eventually your tool is going to impact the ground/floor. When is the last time you split anything that this didn't happen? And what about the mess of making kindling in your house? You must be talking about something different from what I associate with "splitting small rounds."

Should have explained better but no axe or maul. But small hatchet and knife work do get done while I'm sitting around

Any natural stone other than slate would be ideal for your application. If you want something that looks like slate, check out blue stone (most people look at it and think it's slate), it's a fine sandstone and it will take more punishment.

Have you thought of brick? I can attest to the durability of brick, and the ability to fix a small section of it up as good as new with relative ease if your hearth should ever be subjected to idiots of the drunken variety.

why don't you cut a 4" thick cookie to use as a mini chopping block

Reactions: tjcole50
Status
Not open for further replies.