Extending fireplace hearth for small wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nice! Will it fit?
Yes, it would need to be rear-vented, so the flue collar might need reversing. It's best as a top loader, so it will need to have the front part out on the hearth and a hearth extension pad in front. In good condition the Resolute is a fine little stove. I loved ours.

Reactions: practicalolivia
Thanks everyone, but I can't do all this. I don't have help. That's why I was picking a small stove that wasn't too heavy or too far away. I thought maybe a year from now I'd have a better plan. Most all these stoves are too heavy and too complicated for me.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Speak with your chimney person. Maybe they can assist.

I do have a friend that did professional hvac installation who's going to look over whatever stove I get and make sure it's all secure and safe. He just can't lift anything after back surgery. I trust my chimney sweep with the installation. I had a house burn down on top of me when I was 12, so I'm very careful. My daughter is a firefighter, so she'll look out for me also.

Good team. Sounds like all you need is a couple friends to help get and move the stove. Or someone with a truck that will do it for you. Might be worth asking the Craigslist owner that. The Resolute is a simpler stove then the Jotul 3-TDIC.

1. Daughter = firefighter.
2. Firehouses = full of strong young guys.
3. Strong young guys often work for a free dinner or beer.

Also, it would not be uncommon for a few of those firefighters to be woodburners. It's likely one of your daughters friends might help put eyeballs on the stove, and give it a "go / no go".

If that stove is in good shape, it won't sit on Craigslist long.

I called about the one on Craig's list. It was being seen, and I guess bought. She hasn't gotten back to tell me otherwise. I did talk to my daughter and she says that the guys at her station also liked Vermont Castings. Thanks for the help. I heard you. I just was overwhelmed with all the talk from different directions. I knew nothing about stoves or words used. That's the fun thing about new projects. I'm not good with any physical work, but when this is all done, I'll understand exactly what I have. I'll let my chimney guy give me the quote and tell me what he's doing, but I'm confused by verbally saying triple lined stainless liner and on the receipt for my inspection putting "Chimney is unlined. To install a woodstove, the chimney would have to be relined with insulated stainless steel pipe.Estimate between $800 and $1000 depending on stove used." The more I read on stainless liner, I keep seeing flexible liner?? Is that what is used?

Yes, insulated stainless steel flex liner for free standing stove or insert in fireplace. This is not pipe.

Triple wall stainless steel pipe is for free standing, not in fireplace, stoves. This is not a liner.

99% they can not be switched around nor would you want to.

Flexible stainless liner is most commonly used for relining masonry chimneys. Rigid liner can also be installed if it's an open straight shot from chimney top to the damper. Both need to be insulated in most cases. Not sure what the "triple wall" statement means and would ask for a clarification.

Another issue of (apparent) common debate in the industry, is that many installers will tell you that the liner does not need to be insulated if it is going into a functional chimney that was built to current code. This is true, but some sweeps and installers can tell you that very few chimneys are ever fully built to code. Translation, an insulated liner is usually the best route.

Also, because modern stoves are pushing such high efficiencies, this means you're putting very little heat up the chimney. Insulating the liner helps to keep it warm, which helps the stove to perform better. The chimney is the engine that makes your stove work.

My installer says this, so I guess I'm good on that point "We would be using insulated flexible stainless steel liner through the existing chimney. Solid pipe would only be used for a free standing chimney. The pipe is UL listed and lifetime warrantied." I hope maybe that means that maybe if I find my dream stove in the future, then it shouldn't be too difficult to switch the stoves?? Or how about this little stove? Hiflame Shetland HF905UPB steel plate wood burning stove wood fireplace of contemporary European styling.

It would be easier to switch stoves of the same height and build yes.

The HiFlame Shetland seems to be a good fit. You would have to have the proper floor protection as well clearances on the sides. and I didnt see any of your dimensions besides 27" high of the opening to confirm.

But, at that price I think you would be better off either saving, or waiting for a Craigslist/Facebook deal to come up.

My fireplace opening is 36w x 28.5 H x 24d.
It would be easier to switch stoves of the same height and build yes.

The HiFlame Shetland seems to be a good fit. You would have to have the proper floor protection as well clearances on the sides. and I didnt see any of your dimensions besides 27" high of the opening to confirm.

But, at that price I think you would be better off either saving, or waiting for a Craigslist/Facebook deal to come up.

Last edited:
My fireplace opening is 36w x 28.5 H x 24d. I need something small, that doesn't weigh to much and I can pick up local. I just saw this one. How about Vermont Castings Aspen Wood Stove.

What was with the 27" height restriction?

I’m not familiar with that VC model, but VC has been getting a lot of bad reviews around here for both design and support of their products over the last decade. They’ve just changed ownership (again), I think... so maybe this time things are on the up swing.

Their stoves are very pretty, and the old VC (pre-EPA) products are the stuff the company built their reputation on, but they’ve had quite a bit of trouble in more recent years.

Check the stove reviews portion of the web site, to see if anyone has left reviews of that model, if you don’t get any feedback here.

My fireplace opening is 36w x 28.5 H x 24d. I need something small, that doesn't weigh to much and I can pick up local. I just saw this one. How about Vermont Castings Aspen Wood Stove.
Sorry that the old Resolute sold before you got to it. That would have been perfect. The Aspen is a newer generation stove that VC brought out to compete with the popular Jotul F602CB. It was not a great stove and there were many complaints. Wood burns unevenly in it and complaints about creosote buildup were common. That said with decent draft some folks were able to get it to burn better than others. Dry wood, small splits, frequent loadings seem to help.

There must be about a million used Jotul 602’s around, if that form factor works in your application. It has been a very popular stove, in all its various incarnations, over the last 80 years. In fact, even begreen used to run one, if memory serves me.

@practicalolivia - sounds like you are getting some really good advice on here. The only thing I can offer is to continue with your due diligence and get something that will be in your price range but that also is known to work well.

If you are set on getting a wood stove start thinking about your wood supply as well. Nothing takes the fun out of the new stove experience more than struggling with unseasoned wood. A lot of first timers get excited about the stove and forget about the wood, the result is poor heat, dirty glass, dirty chimney, etc.. and they assume the stove is the issue.

Another thing to consider is the season. Fall is a crazy time of year for installers, sellers, etc. The best time of year to buy and install a stove is early summer. Sounds like you'll make it happen this fall but it's going to be more effort than it might have been.

Thanks Zack. I see you're from Oregon. I've been in 1991 and loved it. Enjoy. I've been thinking about wood. I take wood that others give away. I sort of know the difference. I've been hanging onto some for a while because I thought I'd burn in the fireplace, but never happened. I'm a planner and if I'd known I was going this direction, I would have started sooner. I just assumed that my fireplace once inspected and cleaned would work, :(

There must be about a million used Jotul 602’s around, if that form factor works in your application. It has been a very popular stove, in all its various incarnations, over the last 80 years. In fact, even begreen used to run one, if memory serves me.
We still have one in the greenhouse. It hasn't been used in a while. It's not the cleanest burner, but simple and reliable.

Maybe take a peek at the Century S244 free stander. Meets your size restrictions. Top of collar is 26". The forward 5+ inches of the top is fine for cooking on and is 23" tall. It can be purchased at big box stores. Priced reasonable. Far better choice than the model you were considering. Kicks out serious heat!

Thanks. I've also posted on our local Next door neighborhood site to see if anyone has anything that fits what I'm looking for.
Maybe take a peek at the Century S244 free stander. Meets your size restrictions. Top of collar is 26". The forward 5+ inches of the top is fine for cooking on and is 23" tall. It can be purchased at big box stores. Priced reasonable. Far better choice than the model you were considering. Kicks out serious heat!

Nice! Only $750 at L&M Fleet Supply right now, with free shipping to the lower 48. What do you think of this one, begreen?

http://www.landmsupply.com/departme...MIurT9_sOJ3gIVmYTICh2-3w43EAYYAiABEgJ-WPD_BwE

edit: Holy Carp! It's only $350 at Menards for the next five days!

https://www.menards.com/main/heatin...e-250-1-000-sq-ft/cb00001/p-1444444138186.htm

Reactions: moresnow