Extending fireplace hearth for small wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I got the impression that a plain steel stove was not desired. The Englander 13-NC was suggested and rejected as "ugly". That said, the Menard's offer is exceptionally good for this stove, but the nearest store is in Ohio I think. FWIW, the S244 is an old and simple design.

Reactions: practicalolivia
Nice! Only $750 at L&M Fleet Supply right now, with free shipping to the lower 48. What do you think of this one, begreen?

http://www.landmsupply.com/departme...MIurT9_sOJ3gIVmYTICh2-3w43EAYYAiABEgJ-WPD_BwE

edit: Holy Carp! It's only $350 at Menards for the next five days!

https://www.menards.com/main/heatin...e-250-1-000-sq-ft/cb00001/p-1444444138186.htm

I replaced mine (S244) with my BK for one reason. I wanted extended burn times. The 244 is still sitting in my kitchen waiting for a second life in my little shop. Good little stove's.
Picked up another used 244 for my neighbors art studio. Happy as well.

I got the impression that a plain steel stove was not desired. The Englander 13-NC was suggested and rejected as "ugly". That said, the Menard's offer is exceptionally good for this stove, but the nearest store is in Ohio I think. FWIW, the S244 is an old and simple design.
I had looked at the Englander 13-NC at Home Depot, but there is listed the height at 28.5 which is too high. On the seconds site, they list the height at 26" which would be good. I can't seem to find out if it is a different height with the legs, than with the pedestal.

It will be close, but it looks like it will just clear. The high point is the top of the flue collar. If necessary the feet could be cut down an inch.

It will be close, but it looks like it will just clear. The high point is the top of the flue collar. If necessary the feet could be cut down an inch.
Then since its not too deep, it could be tipped a little to get it in? It's only about 5 inches from the front to the opening to the inside of the chimney. What measurement did you get please?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

It might be possible to tip it while installing to clear the flue collar. Unfortunately the newly revised Englander website no longer has a height diagram and they don't have a diagram showing this in the manual. The stove top is around 26" high, but the flue collar and rear heat shield/deflector go up another couple inches over the stove top. I am not sure the exact measurement of the leg model, but an Englander stove person posted here that the flue collar height is about 27.5". The website lists 28 1/4" for the pedestal stove.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/englander-13-measurements.37434/

You could call AM/FM Energy and ask them to measure the stove.

PS: Note that the blower adds another 6-8"? to the depth of the stove. It's not mandatory to install the blower, but you should know this.

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 7.15.02 PM.png

The Home Depot stores around here have these sitting on the shelf, this time of year. Might be worth just driving over there and getting a couple of key dimensions, if your local store has one in stock.

Thanks. I've never seen them in stock, but I'll call around. Anyone know how expensive it is to make my fireplace opening bigger?
The Home Depot stores around here have these sitting on the shelf, this time of year. Might be worth just driving over there and getting a couple of key dimensions, if your local store has one in stock.
This is inside my fireplace. The metal bar is only about 4 or 5 inches.
cd5252b5ef110d8e246620a13987cf9f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. Where's your daughter a firefighter? My wife's cousin is Jeff Pereira, Battalion Chief with Hampton Fire & Rescue. Lots of relatives in the Hampton/Newport News area.

That bar is the lintel and would suggest NOT removing that. The damper (the other metal item in the throat) would be removed. A metal blocking plate (with appropriate flue pipe hole) would be installed. If the opening needed to be enlarged, the masonry around the damper would be the area removed....before the blocking plate is installed for flue pipe passage.

Thanks. I've never seen them in stock, but I'll call around. Anyone know how expensive it is to make my fireplace opening bigger? This is inside my fireplace. The metal bar is only about 4 or 5 inches.
View attachment 231078

What do you think about this one for me? He wants $500, it's local and he says in good shape. I haven't seen it yet and I'm not sure.
Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Jotul 118B. Good stove.

Good price especially this time of the year.

This will for sure extend out of the fireplace though and will need hearth protection.

I went to look and measure. I thought since it vented from the rear, I could set it completely outside of the fireplace. That area it a bit lower than the 29.5" fireplace opening. It came with a sheet of metal that was painted the same color of green. I wonder if the stove enamel has been painted again?
The Jotul F118 is 31.1" tall.
2609132fa36f398625fad5d529fe1a76.jpg7b2f518aa34479ed5177f8530c01fee1.jpg431f4294d2aba33b7baffdaed9b82ee0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The F118 is a nice old stove. Besides the whole stove needing to be crack free, the condition of the burn plates on the inside left and right of the firebox, is very important. Examine them for cracks or warping. If they are in good condition then it might work. I would consider putting it directly on the hearth with no legs so that it can fit back into the firebox. Or perhaps set on bricks? The color looks original, just a bit neglected.

The F118 is a nice old stove. Besides the whole stove needing to be crack free, the condition of the burn plates on the inside left and right of the firebox, is very important. Examine them for cracks or warping. If they are in good condition then it might work. I would consider putting it directly on the hearth with no legs so that it can fit back into the firebox. Or perhaps set on bricks? The color looks original, just a bit neglected.
Thanks. I think I might get this one. My chimney guy says we can make it work. The owner is willing to deliver to me for the asking price of $500. He's owned wood stoves and his co-worker is a retired firefighter that worked with my daughter. They both think a good stove for me. Thanks to everyone for pushing me to keep looking.

Make sure those inner burn plates are in good condition first. They cost a lot to replace.