Extending out with wood burning insert going in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gbpg

Jan 18, 2022
We're going to be putting up 2x4 and metal studs in front of the old stone veneer to have the fireplace stick out rather than be flush with the wall. This is a real fireplace that was rebuilt after a tornado took half of it out. Previous owner hooked up a propane tank to gas logs but was originally a wood fireplace. My question is, if we extend it out, is this a problem with a wood burning insert in regards to the gap above and the two sides from heat getting between the new fireplace exterior and previous stone veneer? There will be a granite hearth below it. I'm not very good at explaining so hopefully you get what I'm saying. The total extension out will be approx 6".

fireplace.jpg

We're going to be putting up 2x4 and metal studs in front of the old stone veneer to have the fireplace stick out rather than be flush with the wall. This is a real fireplace that was rebuilt after a tornado took half of it out. Previous owner hooked up a propane tank to gas logs but was originally a wood fireplace. My question is, if we extend it out, is this a problem with a wood burning insert in regards to the gap above and the two sides from heat getting between the new fireplace exterior and previous stone veneer? There will be a granite hearth below it. I'm not very good at explaining so hopefully you get what I'm saying. The total extension out will be approx 6".

View attachment 290155
It needs to be extended with masonry. But doing this may make hooking the liner up to the insert very difficult

It needs to be extended with masonry. But doing this may make hooking the liner up to the insert very difficult
The old fireplace extended about 12” into the living but was cut out so the bricks will have a solid footing. My next dumb question is fire brick or regular brick?

The old fireplace extended about 12” into the living but was cut out so the bricks will have a solid footing. My next dumb question is fire brick or regular brick?
The effort time and cost with this project I think you will be money time and effort ahead to chose a location to install a free standing stove just my thoughts.

Reactions: Sono
The effort time and cost with this project I think you will be money time and effort ahead to chose a location to install a free standing stove just my thoughts.
I’ve found an insert that will fit in the current firebox https://www.regency-fire.com/en/Products/Wood/Wood-Inserts/I1500 but it says the min depth is 13-3/4” and my firebox is 15” at it’s shallowest based on the height of this one. Can I not just use metal studs to go up against the brick (if I remove the stone) and then only the surround would be outside the firebox? Doing it this way would only extend the fireplace 2” with metal studs surrounding the insert. Then I could possibly use some metal trim to hide the gap of the surround to the fireplace stone exterior.

I’m already at a point of no return. Here’s some pics with a picture of the chimney.

45165439-2DA3-4B27-B032-8DCDD7E0A171.jpeg 9B01FA1F-C7F3-4B6B-B0EA-737A261AB69F.jpeg 13928E95-2546-4B6C-A144-9F86B7FB6A2D.jpeg F5AAE402-5B8C-40DC-8EB2-D08F9C80F4FC.jpeg CBB8E004-7CBA-4AF8-8475-6AF4177A5735.jpeg CECA25C1-C18F-4734-A252-3BC77F857479.jpeg 093A09ED-8F52-416B-9D2A-47BAA49C66E4.jpeg

Last edited:
I was searching the forum and read a thread where someone removed the back bricks to increase the depth. Behind the stone veneer on the interior fireplace is bricks but on the outside of the home the chimney is made of cinderblocks. Is this something I could do then just reface the the fireplace with a stone veneer I think looks better?

I was searching the forum and read a thread where someone removed the back bricks to increase the depth. Behind the stone veneer on the interior fireplace is bricks but on the outside of the home the chimney is made of cinderblocks. Could I also remove do this?
Yes you could

I was searching the forum and read a thread where someone removed the back bricks to increase the depth. Behind the stone veneer on the interior fireplace is bricks but on the outside of the home the chimney is made of cinderblocks. Is this something I could do then just reface the the fireplace with a stone veneer I think looks better?
I had the top two rows of firebrick in the back of my firebox removed so my insert would fit. The damper will most likely have to be removed as well.