Q&A Extension of a chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a 1920's house which had an open double fireplace. I removed some brick work and now have just an open fireplace. The chimney extends up the wall and into the roof, but falls short of the roof line. I would like to extend this chimney. As I understand it, if the chimney is under 10 feet away from the peak of the roof line I must extend it past the roof line by 2 feet, otherwise it must be 3 feet. I am considering doing this myself. Should I or should I get an expert? Also do I need a cowl or dampers or chimney cap on top? I'm not sure which is best to use or why.

Answer:

Chimney should be 2 ft higher than anything within 10 feet. Honestly, it does not sound like a DIY job unless you are already quite skilled in masonry work. A cap is optional, although it can help keep rain from coming into the chimney. Depending on chimney and damper design, rain can even drip down into the fireplace and/or rust the damper and frame. Even if it doesn't come this far, it can harm the masonry and cause house odors.

Status
Not open for further replies.