Exterior masonry chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjs200123

Oct 28, 2015
Montana
Hey there, brand new to this but need a quick question answered fast!! This weekend I'm having an exterior masonry chimney put on my house. It's a 2 level house with 1600sq ft a level. I'm going to put the stove in the basement and shoot for that to be my main source of heat. My problem and my question is now in being told from different people that this type of chimney won't work... I was looking at putting in a blaze king king. A guy who works for blaze king is one of the ones that told me the chimney wouldn't work. However he did suggest lining it.. Any information and suggestions would be greatly appreciated because this project is scheduled this weekend...

He is correct, you should just do a Class A chimney. The chimney would need to be lined with an insulated 8" liner anyway so you might as well just run Class A the whole way up.

Your proper install will look something like this:
11032541_446577608879662_4375660012242936743_n.jpg

He is correct, you should just do a Class A chimney. The chimney would need to be lined with an insulated 8" liner anyway so you might as well just run Class A the whole way up.

Your proper install will look something like this:
View attachment 165497
plus much cheaper than a masonary chimney

That would be a very expensive way to do what a metal chimney will do. If you want to disguise the metal chimney build a chase around it, with a minimum of 2" clearances around the pipe.

Reactions: jb6l6gc
Just line the masonary chimney, brick looks sooooo much better than a pipe running up the side of your house.
I believe he's talking about building a new masonary chimney then lining it
You must have money trees on your property, and to be honest class A running on the side of a house doesn't look that bad.

If you desire a masonry Chimney go for it. Just make sure make the flue is big enough for the proper liner for your stove. I agree that a stainless pipe running up the side of the house looks like crap.

Masonry chimneys look great, I have one, see pic at left.
But I would never have one built just to put a stove pipe in. Two stories plus a basement? Muy caro, amigo.

Masonry chimneys look great, I have one, see pic at left.
But I would never have one built just to put a stove pipe in. Two stories plus a basement? Muy caro, amigo.
Don't get me wrong as well they look great I have one too. Unfortunately due to misalignment of original flue tiles in my one flue servicing main floor, so a liner couldn't be run, I have both of what's being discussed. My class a goes through the masonry chimney under the lentil and up the outside. This was the only way other that having a mason rebuild entire masonry chimney. And believe me the quote was large money!!! I wasn't crazy about the look at first but now it doesn't bother me at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.