Exterior stove pipe chase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Just curious as to the advatages of having my SS double walled exterior stovepipe within a chase? I would assume that it will keep the stove pipe hotter therefore less creosote and better draft?

Yep that's the summary of it. If you insulated the chase, the temperature inside the chase is naturally going to be higher than the outside air temperature. That means less heat loss from the stovepipe to the outside air. If you can insulate the chase and connect it the house envelope so that's its the same temperature in the chase as in the house, than you'll really be in business.

If possible, to avoid all this chase building stuff, its always easier to keep the chimney 100% internal until its above the roof line, if possible. Obviously it isn't in all cases.

well my chiney has been up for a year already. I dont seem to have a problem with draft but I havent cleaned the chimney yet to see how much creosote buildup I got the first year.

Adirondackwoodburner said:
well my chiney has been up for a year already. I dont seem to have a problem with draft but I havent cleaned the chimney yet to see how much creosote buildup I got the first year.
Boy,I wish I could say that;I clean my friggin' masonry chimney every 3 weeks-usually gives me 2 cups of creosote.I can't wait to install a new insulated flue indoors this summer and be rid of that cold brick bastard for good! :vampire:

Status
Not open for further replies.