extremely generic stove application query

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

celticpiping

Sep 27, 2007
Maine,USA
www.gouette.com
I currently have a Regency i2400
We're not too happy with it's ability to keep up with our 94 year old cape.
Setup is currently direct-connect to an outside, masonry lined chimney.

Considering the blocky, non-open concept, partitioned off nature of a Cape style home,
in your wise opinion(s):

If you were replacing this unit with a free-standing stove, how would you rate the following possibilities:
1) soapstone stove (Hearthstone)
2) steel, as in Vermont Castings Defiant

Other thoughts/advice?

Thanks lads, for any of your valuable time as always!
Rich

Well first of all, the Vermont Castings Defiant is cast iron, not steel.

Honestly, when trying to heat a bunch of small partitioned spaces, I think you're better off trying to move hot air around the house than to try using radiant heaters. Honestly, the Defiant and most (if not all) of the hearthstone stoves are designed as radiant heaters. They will tend to heat the snot out of the room they are located in, but you may have a hard time circulating that heat around the house....

Just something to think about. I'd rather have a good heating stove with a serious blower system OR something like a Quadrafire 7100, which you can duct into rooms around the house to really circulate the heat.

ah, important distinction..cast iron.
Talk about not knowing what your talking about! oops!

Yeah, I was thinking about that fact, that I'm trying/wanting to heat multiple partitioned rooms.

Also, I should have mentioned, that the hearth location, is located on the center outside wall of the double living room.

First thing I would try is an insulated block off plate to recoup some of the heat that is warming outdoors.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Why_damper_seal_is_needed/

Then I would place a table (or box) fan on the floor in a colder area that has a straight shot through doorways to the wood insert room. Set the fan to blow cold air towards the wood stove and see if that doesn't even out temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.