F 500 V3 Oslo CF

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
I expected the catalyst to have bigger cells. That looks like a normal cat. Not even a flame shield though. Hey, if the whole bypass operation can be skipped and the stove can be operated like a noncat then great. Much simpler. I’m willing to let a forum member test it out! Stove looks great.

The whole waiting for a certain temperature before swinging a second lever thing is a lot to ask of the typical casual burner. It’s like driving a stick shift. Easy for those of us that do it without thinking but put a millennial in there and she will cry.

Hoytman

Jan 6, 2020
Ohio
Is there a thermostat anywhere in this stove? What about a place to turn the stove down? I must be blind. Surely there is a place to turn it down.

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
Is there a thermostat anywhere in this stove? What about a place to turn the stove down? I must be blind. Surely there is a place to turn it down.
There is a lever under the door above the ashlip.

Sailrmike

Burning Hunk
Sep 20, 2017
I expected the catalyst to have bigger cells. That looks like a normal cat. Not even a flame shield though. Hey, if the whole bypass operation can be skipped and the stove can be operated like a noncat then great. Much simpler. I’m willing to let a forum member test it out! Stove looks great.

The whole waiting for a certain temperature before swinging a second lever thing is a lot to ask of the typical casual burner. It’s like driving a stick shift. Easy for those of us that do it without thinking but put a millennial in there and she will cry.
The cat cells are actually HUGE compared to what I remember my ss BK cat cells being. Wish I had one to compare side by side. The Jotul website has a great video showing a standard cat and their new one. I was amazed at how easily you could see the guy's hand thru it.

Maybe @jotulguy can speak to no flame shield. I have a hunch that they aren't needed with the new ss cats, and cause too much draft restriction

Reactions: Highbeam
Why is there such a delay on these stoves? Covid? Heavy demand? Both?
It is delayed due to the finish I chose. Flat black painted stoves are in stock now and have no delay. None of the colored enameled stoves are available at the factory, so they are delayed. I ordered the blue/black enameled stove, so I wait. I’m OK with that.

Sailrmike

Burning Hunk
Sep 20, 2017
Hey there woodstove fans, I did a little work on my new baby recently. Got her centered on the hearth, pipe positioned, need a few new screws. Pulled the inspection cover tonight:
20200916_183046.jpg

At @begreen 's recommendation, I applied some graphite powder to the primary air slider area.

20200916_183850.jpg
20200916_190726.jpg

And because I want easy acess to this area once the burning begins:
20200916_190718.jpg
20200916_185945.jpg
20200916_190024.jpg

This is what I was working on earlier today, surprised I had any energy to work on the Oslo afterwards, must be fall crunch season 20200916_155735.jpg
Might do a break-in fire this weekend! Have a good night and thanks for reading