F45 Greenville Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hey there,

pretty new to the woodstove world. Had a f45 greenville installed in september, we love it and it works amazing.

just had a inquiry into cleaning the stove itself. i need to qive the chimney a quick sweep and i am wondering if there are any schematics or how-to's on cleaning the stove itself or removing the creosote that falls down the chimney when i clean it.

that make sense?

thanks for any help!
Adam

IMG_6479.JPG

quick update, did a bit of research and realized that you can take off the cookplate to clean out soot after brushing the chimney.

just brushed the chimney and cleaned out the stove and it seemed to work well. just curious if maybe some soot got packed into any of the vents or anything inside the stove? (there seems to be some serious nooks and crannys in there.

does anyone have any experience with the inside of the F45?

what to watch out for etc?

thanks!

I have zero f45 knowledge. Just saying hello and welcome to the forum. Lets see if this bump gets some replies.

I just checked the manual on my F55. The cooktop on mine is held in by two screws that would require me to remove the manifold to get to - quite an operation.

I remove the stove pipe above the stove (it actually slides) when cleaning the chimney so the soot doesn't go back into the stove. I'd love to get on top of the manifold, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way on mine. When the season is over I just vacuum out the firebox and clean the glass.

Is removing the stove pipe a big deal? How long does it take? I am looking at a f55 for next year. I currently clean from inside the stove. How do you like f56? How long do you go before having to refill the stove with oak? Thanks.

See the section of pipe between the damper and the ceiling box? In the middle is a sliding joint. I just remove the screws near the ceiling box and it slides down. Then I tape a plastic shopping bag to open pipe and run the brush down. I have a straight chimney with no bends and I can accomplish the chimney clean in a half hour by myself.

I'd get a good quality pipe if you go this direction. I have a Ventis and the fits are very nice.

There's some other F55 threads around that go into the likes' dislikes of the F55. I'd try a search fro those instead of me re-hashing it here.

As far as burn times - if I fill a cold stove with oak it takes about 30-45 minutes to get the stove up to temp. Then it cruises for about 3-4 hours, then there's another 3 hours where the coals are burning down and the stove runs at about 400 degrees and still puts out heat, but not as much as cruise.
DSC02164.JPG

See the section of pipe between the damper and the ceiling box? In the middle is a sliding joint. I just remove the screws near the ceiling box and it slides down. Then I tape a plastic shopping bag to open pipe and run the brush down. I have a straight chimney with no bends and I can accomplish the chimney clean in a half hour by myself.

I'd get a good quality pipe if you go this direction. I have a Ventis and the fits are very nice.

There's some other F55 threads around that go into the likes' dislikes of the F55. I'd try a search fro those instead of me re-hashing it here.

As far as burn times - if I fill a cold stove with oak it takes about 30-45 minutes to get the stove up to temp. Then it cruises for about 3-4 hours, then there's another 3 hours where the coals are burning down and the stove runs at about 400 degrees and still puts out heat, but not as much as cruise.
View attachment 223217
Thank you very much for your time and knowledge. Very much appreciate your efforts. I don't want to buy the wrong stove again.

quick update, did a bit of research and realized that you can take off the cookplate to clean out soot after brushing the chimney.

just brushed the chimney and cleaned out the stove and it seemed to work well. just curious if maybe some soot got packed into any of the vents or anything inside the stove? (there seems to be some serious nooks and crannys in there.

does anyone have any experience with the inside of the F45?

what to watch out for etc?

thanks!

How do you take off the cookplate? I haven't seen a way to do this in the user manual. I assumed you would need to disconnect the chimney pipe.

Looks like there are two bolts with retaining clips on the underside of the plate.
Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 10.24.00 AM.png

Looks like there are two bolts with retaining clips on the underside of the plate.

Yeah - and I think you need to take the manifold out to get at those.

Yeah - and I think you need to take the manifold out to get at those.
Maybe, or a skinny hand, patience and some cursing? I haven't worked on one to say.

I have a T for cleaning the f55....but from my observation the manifold will need to come off to get to that plate.
So do you have a rear exit flue then a t with a cap going to the connector pipe? Thanks A local dealer did not mention that.