F600 air leaks.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

William De Boutx

Nov 25, 2022
Midi Pyrenees, France
Hello, I've een reading on here for a while but today needed to join to ask my own specific question. I've recently acquired an as new but old stock Jotul. It was a white enamel stove that was water damaged, so thr shop sand blasted it and painted it black, however I think it may not have been re assembled perfectly, due to the fire burning too quickly. The rope gasket from the middle of the doors was missing, so i've replaced this however, looking from the side a the edge of the door I can see the glow of the fire on the rope seal, so it seems the doors are not sealing correctly, I presume I should see no glow here if the doors were correctly sealed ? Also, more worryingly there is a gap between the castings in the bottom right front corner of the stove (base corner between the side door and front right door, looking from front) you can feel and hear the fire drawing in air through this gap. Adding the door seal has made a big difference, but I can still hear the fire drawing stood next to it, again not sure this is normal as its a new stove...
I don't have access to another F600 to verify if this is right or normal etc, I don't think it is. So if members could advise if this gap should be there or not that would be great and if not how to eliminate it (fire cement, or re assembling stove) and also why the doors may not be sealing correctly, the stove is essentially as new, and has maybe had 20 fires in it so far, so no significant wear on anything.

Thanks, William,

20221125_082504.jpg 20221123_205906.jpg 20221124_184614.jpg

Last edited:
Can’t help with anything on your post, just admiring the f600 I wanted one bad when I bought the hearthstone. No dealer in Wisconsin wanted to help locate 600, was kinda sad.

Any gap on any door is not ok. A gap on the ashpan door can quickly result in a cracked stove base which is a costly and long repair. Order a new gaskets and seee if you cans do it better. You can just let the ashpan fill up and scoop ash out. Or try some flat rope gasket to seal it better. That could be a quick fix for the doors too depending on how big the gap it.

I would suggest getting the correct gasket kit from a Jotul dealer or on line. It's important to get it right. Also get some small size gasket (4mm?) to insert in any of the joints between castings, especially where front meets sides. F-600 are great but notoriously leaky. Bon chance!

Dosen't look like this was rebuilt. Whats with the ash door gasket? FYI, I had to go up on size in diameter on my ash door.