Fact or fiction.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
If you remove your chimney or stove cap you will cease having creosote build up and most likely never have a creosote fire.

The reason for this is the hot gases and smoke that exit the pipe can now exit much faster and freely therefore not allowing the back up of smoke within the pipe..........which in turn allows the smoke/moisture time to adhere to the walls of the pipe, resulting in moisture or creosote.

I was just told this story by a friend of mine, that was told this by an old timer who burned for many years. He also stated at the time he had just had a chimney fire and the old timer told him to remove his cap and he would never have any problems again.

The owner has never had a chimney fire since he followed the old timers advice, and he said his pipe has not been cleaned in many years. His pipe was checked in the last couple years and he said it was still perfectly slick and clean from top to bottom.

In my opinion this is worth a try, except for those who has a pipe that runs directly into the stove. I am fortunate to have my pipe run in to a clean out and don't think the rain could travel to my stove from the cleanout.

During the summer, I would probably make a cover like an old stainless pot to be easily removed for fall burning.

Thoughts ? :p

Robbie

I think I'll keep my cap.

You need a cap to contain sparks and prevent water from getting down your chimney. but i would agree that chimney would draft better without one.

Define "old timer".

At work I"m an old timer.. a wopping 44! I've burned wood now for 2 years, but I've been at it since I was about 12 when my father burned wood. so.. am I an old timer? I think I'll keep my cap too!

Fiction, and proven so!

I 100% believed this myself until I saw a study by the Canadian Mortgage Association - of various caps, and no caps - using wind angles and strength of many different types.

Bottom line - a properly designed cap will help in most cases. According to the study, most "super draft" type caps do not work well...the best designs being the standard ones on Class A chimney and the basic masonry chimney caps. I'll dig out the study and post it.

The only way this might turn to fact is with ZERO MPH wind on a full time basis, which will never happen. So it is a MYTH BUSTED.

i would think that a screened cap creats restricton, a i would definatly think it would create restriction onces some creosote attaches to it. I dont see how a standard mushroom screen cap could improve the performance, after all its just a cap with no baffles. I would think that you would get the same negative pressure with a screen cap or no cap. I would think that caps like vaccu stack and what not would improve draft when its windy, and hinder draft when its not windy. Im no scientist, thats just what seems logical to me. Please post that study.

I actually don't know for sure if the "old timer" was a seasoned burner of several years or a life long burner.

My screen is the only thing I don't like on my cap, it gets clogged with creosote every couple months or less and I have to use a brush to clean it off so it will draw.

I may try this next fall............... ;-)

Robbie

Burn dry wood and you won't have a problem with a chimney cap.

If you only have to clean the cap every couple of months, that seems reasonable as it really doesn't take that long and also gives you the opportunity to look over things, which some might neglect from time to time. Also is excellent insurance for you from possible sparks. I don't go outside without my cap and my chimney won't either. (Guess I'm an old-timer too, or so it is said.)

biggest problems ive seen with caps are : 1, owner does not maintain chimney or burns wet wood clogging the screen, or the flue is just not capable of pulling the installed unit (large cross section, insufficient height (10-2)etc.) ; 2, and most common, the cap opening size not matching the flue size, a cap that restricts even slightly will have a negative effect on draft, this causes buildup. this buildup causes an even bigger restriction and there ya go, the snowball is racin down the slope. my flue is properly capped, i burn wood that died at least a year prior to its use, and above all, i regularly check my flue and cap to ensure that snowball doesnt run down my hill. i get next to nothing in the flue and on the cap, but common sense tells me that if i ignore it , that next to nothing will eventually be somthing.

Status
Not open for further replies.