Fair price for a Woodstock Keystone? Does it matter that it's the beginning of August?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cath

Feeling the Heat
Jul 31, 2007
If Rhonemas is still around he may remember me. My member ID is different now because I couldn't remember my password.

I used to visit here extensively in 2004 (or was it 2005?), and he was extremely helpful and informative when I was considered buying a new Morgan or Clydesdale. I seem to remember "Johnnie" participating in some of our discussions about radiant versus convection heat. Unfortunately, these threads were on the old forum and are probably lost forever.

I also dropped by briefly in the Spring of 2006.

Here I am again debating whether to buy a used Woodstock Keystone. I had considered this stove on my first go around but preferred the Morgan insert due to space constraints. But since this Keystone is used the savings could be considerable.

They usually sell for about $2,500.00, but it looks like the off season price is $2,200.00 or $2,300.00. I haven't seen the stove yet but it is less than 5 years old.

I checked the Woodstock site but I couldn't find any info on how long the warranty lasts. Assuming there would be any time left on the warranty come Winter time would that increase the value? Is it far enough out of season that the used price should be even cheaper?

Regarding where to put it. It could go in the basement or it could go in front of the livingroom fireplace. Unfortunately, the fireplace is on an outside wall and the only household thermostat is in that room. It would also be on an outside wall in the basement but it would be a little more centrally located since the back wall is longer and it would be a little closer to the end were the first floor breezeway is. The house is a 1 3/4 story cape. Of course putting it in the basement means carrying the wood downstairs, and I'm wondering if the radiant heat would "rise" as effectively as convection heat would.

Regarding installation, I couldn't tell from the pictures on the Woodstock site if it is front loading or not. I see there is a side door in one picture but I don't know if you can still load through the front. This could be important if we try and put it in the livingroom fireplace since I would like to maximize floor space by placing it in the fireplace if possible, which you couldn't do if it is side loading only. Of course the fireplace is on the small side so I don't know if it would fit anyway. I'll have to take measurements.

Thanks in advance for any input and thanks for the info I've gotten in the past. This is a great site.
~Cath

Welcome back Cath, what was your old member ID?

The Keystone is a side-loading stove. It's not recommended for installation set into the fireplace, but would work well in front of it. It can be set up to rear-vent for this purpose. Could you extend your hearth so that the stove sits enough out of the fireplace to open the side door? If yes, you'll also need to check clearance from the mantle if there is one. Give the folks at Woodstock a call with questions. They are helpful folk.

Manuals:
http://www.woodstove.com/pages/support.html

BeGreen,
My original member ID was "CathMac", so the new ID isn't that different. I actually have one or two posts under that ID on this "new" home back in May of 2006 .

The fireplace has a small extension in front of it but we would need to cut into the hardwood, or possibly go over it, to build a pad which would have to include adequate clearance. I'm wondering if the fact that it's side loading means that the pad won't need as much clearance from the front of the stove. In which case it wouldn't encroach on the narrow width of the room as much.

If anyone has any opinions on price I'd appreciate them.
Thanks,
~Cath

Cath -

I am a proud owner of a Keystone, which I bought last year during Woodstock's summer sale. I could not be happier with my stove. I have encountered other issues such as poor insulation and wet wood that have hindered the effectiveness of this beauty, but besides that, I couldn't be happier.

One point I want to be sure to make (and I'm sure I won't be alone on this one) is that it is darned near impossible to move enough heat upstairs to make it worth your while. There are a few highly qualified members that could tell you in extensive detail why heat moves the way it does, but unfortunately I am not one of them (where is Rhonemas, anyway?!) I highly suggest placing the stove on the living level that you plan to heat it with. The 45,000 BTU output of this stove is just not enough to move the heat upstairs.

I believe the front clearance is 16-18 inches, and the side clearance is around 20, but I'm not sure. E-mail Tim at Woodstock ([email protected])... I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

With that said, with an open floor plan to the second floor (bedrooms, I assume), you may have a shot at getting some heat up there, but again, it all depends on the floor plan and whether or not you have fans working in your favor (they are a great help in my house with my cathedral ceilings).

So all in all, great choice. I would choose the main level placement, and maybe a ceiling fan or two, depending on your layout. Good luck!

ThePhotoHound said:
One point I want to be sure to make (and I'm sure I won't be alone on this one) is that it is darned near impossible to move enough heat upstairs to make it worth your while. There are a few highly qualified members that could tell you in extensive detail why heat moves the way it does, but unfortunately I am not one of them (where is Rhonemas, anyway?!) I highly suggest placing the stove on the living level that you plan to heat it with. The 45,000 BTU output of this stove is just not enough to move the heat upstairs.

PhotoHound,
Thanks for the feedback. I do remember that even in small homes heat can be hard to "move" without an open floor plan. Unfortunately the main stairs have a full wall on the living room side. We do have one ceiling fan in the kitchen but that is "behind" the stairs.

I guess I was hoping that the heat off of the soapstone would radiate along and up the walls. But I vaguely recall Rhonemas explaining why a woodstove in the basement would be impractical. I also remember trying to convince my husband that it wasn't a good idea, but the stove under consideration for the basement would have been convection. I forget it we talked about whether that would make a difference.

The other possible location would be the first floor breezeway. It is a heated but uninsulated 8x10 room off of the kitchen and it would be as hard to move the heat from that end of the house over to the livingroom as it would be from the living room to the kitchen/breezeway. Not to mention that a wood stove of any size would overwhelm the breezeway.

I'm beginning to think we need to give some more thought to opening the kitchen up by creating a half wall between the kitchen and formal dining room and putting the stove in the former dining room. Then some of the heat may actually make it up the stairs because the wall doesn't quite extend all the way down the stairway on that side.

However, at that point we might be better off with a new Morgan insert. I think it throws a little more heat and it has a blower. Additionally, it wouldn't encroach nearly as much on our limited living space.

On the other hand, if the price on the Keystone is right perhaps we can put it in the basement since we are planning on putting a finished room down there. We could use it to heat that space and what little heat that rises would be a bonus.

Again, thanks for the input. I hope to hear from others, especially Rhonemas.
~Cath

Welcome back CathMac,
I think I remember you. Here's my .02. Unless your basement is insulated and you spend alot of time down there, I would put the stove on the main level. I heat 2 floors or 1800 sq ft from my finished basement, but heating 3 floors would be pushing it.

I think the front clearance is 8" and the side with the loading door is 16" on this stove. Give Woodstock a call and tell them what your trying to do, they have all the answers. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.