Fair Price

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BXTF

Aug 30, 2008
Rock Tavern, New York
A friend is getting transferred to England and will be selling about five cords of well season (one to two years) cherry and oak before he goes. The question is, what do you folks think a fair price would be. We live in Orange County, New York.
Thanks, Chris

look in your craiglist and see what its worth pick-up and 4 cord bulk

Somewhere around $125/cord is a fair price among friends. Market value delivered is more like $175-$225 but he would have to work a lot harder for it.

Depends on transportation. If you are hauling it, and he needs to have it removed, probably free. If he doesn't need to move it and you want to buy it and still transport it yourself, $50 per cord.

I agree that it is not worth more than $50 per cord.
What are you going to use to haul that much wood ?
If you say a pickup truck think a regular PU holds about 1/3 cord unless overloaded. That comes to 15 trips loading and unloading to haul that wood. Either that or you rent a truck that may haul 1/2 of the wood per trip ( maybe )

Figure the cost of gas, time, wear and tear on vehicle, rental?

Also figure in how bad do you need it ? Do you need it for this year ?

If he has time to sell it then the best way to determine market value is to try and find what other folks on the market are selling it for. If he is in a hurry to dump it then he will need to set his price below market value. If he wants to sell it to a buddy then he may cut you a deal, especially if you take it all. I can't imagine anything less than half of market value for a buddy discount. He had to work for it.

Truly seasoned, does anyone actually sell seasoned wood? It has to be worth at least $150/cord, probably closer to $200 a cord for truly seasoned cherry/oak. I'd say if you could strike a deal amongst friends, $400 to $500 would be fair for both party's.

help him load the Uhaul in exchange for the wood. :) it is a win win

How good of a friend is this guy? I wouldn't even consider charging my friends in this situation. But I don't pay for firewood in the first place...

I'll take one and a half of them off his hands for free. Just give me the address. Can't be too far from me. Around us it looks like $200 +/- is the going price for a delivered cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.