Fall Stove Repainting Time!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
Thanks to my dog every couple years I need to repaint the top of my stove. We do our best to keep him away but he still manages to fling drool on it from across the room!

Wire brush on the drill, hand steel wool, some acetone to clean it, and two fresh coats here. I use SBI metallic black to match the finish. It's a little extra due to the shipping from Canada but that's fine. I'm always happy with how it turns out. I don't bother repainting the ash lip as often as it just gets destroyed again a few weeks into the season.

PXL_20220917_155314237.jpgPXL_20220917_162552098.jpg

Guilty boy:

8a45561d-7a4d-4233-b660-4738a8ce78b6.jpg

Reactions: tabner
I need to get to work on our stove soon too.
Looks like the appliance connector should be a 15 or 30º elbow connector instead of a straight.

Reactions: Hoytman
I need to get to work on our stove soon too.
Looks like the appliance connector should be a 15 or 30º elbow connector instead of a straight.
Yeah I agree it should be angled. This was installed back when I was a total greenhorn and didn't know any better. It's been working fine and I've had it inspected by my sweep who I trust and its nice and tight. So I figure I'll replace it with a more appropriate angled connector when it's time.

I had planned on continuing drywalling our closet but the joint compound from yesterday isn't dry yet so I fell into this as a backup. I'm glad I got it done it's always something "I'll get to it later" then "oh crap I need to start burning but didn't do it".

Hey, see the dog as insurance. If chit hits the fan, have him fling some drool and all will be good.

Yeah I agree it should be angled. This was installed back when I was a total greenhorn and didn't know any better. It's been working fine and I've had it inspected by my sweep who I trust and its nice and tight. So I figure I'll replace it with a more appropriate angled connector when it's time.

I had planned on continuing drywalling our closet but the joint compound from yesterday isn't dry yet so I fell into this as a backup. I'm glad I got it done it's always something "I'll get to it later" then "oh crap I need to start burning but didn't do it".
I have the same issue. In hindsight, an angled adapter would have been a much smoother fit. But mines been inspected, it works fine, so I’ll replace when I have to. Don’t wanna rip everything apart if it’s not necessary.

4B5D9411-533C-474D-9E72-296AB9071D09.jpeg