New England (MA, CT, ME, NH, VT, RI) Fallons price increase but no delivery?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scajjr2

Feeling the Heat
Dec 9, 2010
Kingston, NH
Was just looking on Fallons Home & Hearth and Vermont pellets are now $350/ton. A spring special on Wood & Sons, $305/ton doesn't say when it ends.

At the bottom of the page there was this-
" At this time, we are not offering delivery of wood pellets, energy logs, or any palletized items. We are hoping this will change soon. Thank you for your patience and understanding. "

Must either be no driver or cost of diesel, maybe both. May have to look elsewhere for pellets this season.

Woodpellets.com has free delivery to Kingston, Cleanfire Superior Softwood is $350/ton, price goes up may 1.

Sam

Cost of everything is through the roof. I've got 3 tons left over from this year from buying 6 last year so I might last most of next winter on those. I'll pick up a bunch as needed then re-order another 6 next year that way I get the most out of the delivery charges.

A followup on Fallons Home & Hearth not having pellet delivery.

Saw last week they changed the web site to say limited delivery options, so I called to see what they had. Got sent to voice mail, left a message. 2 days later still no callback, left another vm. No call as of yesterday so as we were going to be out for Lori's doc appointment we swung by on the way home.

The guy in the pellet sales says to us that they currently don't have a driver OR A TRUCK. Seems their driver (an older guy) bought their truck in 2020 after he unretired and went back to work for them. (I know in summer 2020 they were training some kid when we got our pellets delivered and he was terrible). The old guy was back last year. Then over this past winter HE DIED. So Fallons now has no truck to even hire a driver for.
Sales guy says they are negotiating with someone to do deliveries but no deal is in place yet and may not happen. Said we should call back in a week to see what is going on. Also said he had no idea what the delivery fee could even be (was $75, he suggested it could double). Also said they don't have service techs to handle the work they need to do either.
Would have been nice to get a phone call telling us all this instead of us having to drive over but we all know the sate of modern day customer service- mostly non-existent.

A few weeks ago I had spoken with Henry at McManus. He said he might be able to bring 2 tons (Matras) on his little trailer or something but Kingston was a bit far out for him to bring out his bigger truck for a delivery. He didn't really seem to even want to bring the 2 tons out so I decided to not bother. He kept saying how he's a one man operation with the pellets.

So went over to East Coast Lumber in Hampstead this morning as they are the next closest place with Vermont pellets. Ordered 3 tons ($360/ton same as Fallons) $74 delivery fee, being delivered July 6 or 7. They charge $60 if they just drop them in the driveway, $74 to put them in a shed, garage, etc.

Sam