Family Affair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Investmentdude

Apr 15, 2022
Maryland
So I have been scrounging for wood for my yet to be installed wood stove for our porch. Plenty of rounds have come to me . I’ve been spitting and stacking. My 18 year old son came out one day and joined in. I taught him how to hold the splitter, bring it up in one motion and bring it down with force. My 13 year old daughter is totally into it, using a 3lb hammer to drive a wedge in a round and then the sledge to split it. Five minutes ago I had my son and daughter splitting wood with me. It’s great to have the family bonding with this.

fvhowler

Burning Hunk
May 4, 2018
Heart of NC
That's awesome! While I love to split wood, my kids never showed interest in it. Yet, my grandmother loved to split wood. Like many things, there is a natural interest in processing firewood and wood burning in general. It must skip a generation in our family ; )

Enjoy that quality time with the kiddos.

Reactions: Investmentdude