Fan locatin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ms440

Apr 6, 2006
Maine
Ok guys, I am contemplating the overhead fan loction in my soon to be house. The house will have a vaulted foyer that that is eight feet wide and will be open to the upstairs. The stove will be in the room next to the foyer, and it will have an overhead fan. Should I put a fan at the top of the vaulted foyer? I am wondering if it is necesarry or helpful because i would rather put a nice light thier. The house is 28x44 with an attached mudroom. Thanks. I think my wife and i have settled on a Mansfield for the heating unit. I looked at one again today in the showroom. The store runs a 10% off sale in Septeber, perfect.

Trying to get the fans situated to move heat around is kinda tricky. Why not put a remote control ceiling fan up there with a nice light. There are some nice fan/light combos out there. It would also give you some flexibility when you start figuring out how to move heat around.

Go ahead and buy a small digital weather station with the remote sender, so you can read temps where the base unit is at, and read the temp whereever the remote is located. When you start burning, keep the base in the woodstove room and move the remote around. You can then use trial and error to get the temps you desire. Bit more scientific then " yea, kinda feels warmer over here"

Hi Ms360,

Are you sure about the mansfield???? Your house is 28x44 that is only 1232 sq. ft. That mansfield has a much larger capacity that 1200 ft. You will be cooking or you have to choke the stove too much to not be baked out of the house. Neither is good.

Am I missing something? Have you used a wood stove before? I am asking because I have bought 4 stoves just to try them all out and see which one is perfect for my house, insulation, installation, etc. I bought all of them used to save money.

Carpniels

I should clarify, it has an attached mudroom that makes it a total of 1400 squares. Add to that the upstairs it brings the house to 2500 ish square ft, in Maine, in the middle of a field on a hill. Maybe I am being too conservitive? I grew up with a Defiant on 10 all winter, HOT! All thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

Edit to add I see that you list an Oslo. How do you like it? Nothing for me is set in stone, no pun intended. I do like the looks of the Oslo and the Firelight, I know that cast and soapstone have their differneces. I have read the reviews on the Firelight and most of them seem to be the cat model, just wondering if they fixed that cracking problem with the non cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.