Fan suggestions for mounting inside a wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

capri_auto

Apr 1, 2016
North NJ
My bedroom is at the end of a hallway and I'd like to mount a fan inside the bottom of the wall aiming down the hallway into the room that has my insert. Right now if I get my main room to 74" my room gets to about 66 with the door open. By morning its down to 62 and the main room is 69. (with temps into the low 30's). I'd like to even up those temps. I have an energy audit scheduled for late December. If I could get a very quiet fan wired in to a switch behind a decorative grate it should take the dense cold air out of the room and draw warmer air in. Not sure if this is a viable solution.

In theory , it would work or help to some extent. I don't think you can find a fan that can move the volume of air needed, that is quiet . Also a wall grate to make it look presentable will also cut down on the air flow and cause turbulence which will increase noise. In my house, a ranch , same situation , I like the bedrooms cooler than the rest of the house . The bedroom temps , in my opinion are ideal.

One thing to consider before attempting to mount a fan inside a wall like you described is the nature of the wall. I'm going to assume it is a standard wood stud/drywall construction. If so, you will need to use some sort of suspension mounting system in order to avoid having the wall cavity act as a sound board like in a guitar, for example. Such a space will amplify the noise and cause it to radiate out from a large section of the wall. I would try to simulate your proposed set up (perhaps by placing a similar fan in the open doorway) to see if will do what you want before going to the expense and effort of cutting a hole in the wall, etc.

Good suggestions Nick.I will experiment first. I like cooler temps for sleeping as well, but dont like waking up to a room that is 60 or below. This is my first season with the insert so I will experiment some more.

Such a space will amplify the noise and cause it to radiate out from a large section of the wall
I put a wall fan in once, never again. It was very noisy. Begreen has the better idea if it's possible.

The AirShare is pretty quiet. 1.5 sone.

Status
Not open for further replies.