Fan ... Thelin parlour 3000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fan is barely running on low... Where is best place to get one or can I fix it

• Price..advise

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Website to purchase fan

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
I purchased the
110556 EF Fan Motor 12VDC, All units, Exmek at a cost of $133 plus $22 in shipping from:

http://sierraproductsinc.net/parts-pellet-stoves.php

The motor arrived well packaged in a few days via FedEx despite the storms in play.

It appears correct replacement for the Thelin fan motor and I was told by Sierra products that it is a replacement. It appears heavier and larger in body diameter than the Pittman motor and the overall external construction appears better than the Pittman. The bearing shields on both ends are visible enough to see the bearings are: Singapore NMB 608Z.

Sierra Products sells brushes for the Exmek motor for $18 a pair on the same link above. Brushes seem to be replaced the same/similar as the Pittman and the bearings and access to the motor for the repairs performed on the Pittman I documented in a prior post linked above appear possible. I don't plan to rebuild this motor until it wears out and then will document here at hearth.com.

Best,
Jethro
Thelin Pittman and Exmek Fan Motors 1.jpg
Thelin Pittman and Exmek Fan Motors 2.jpg

I installed the new Exmek motor as described below. Attached are some pictures of the remove and install. Procedure is covered elsewhere but I find the best things I've learned doing this about 5 or 6 times is use a wood chisel to separate the stove pipe flange from the stove exhaust flange. The silicon can be quite strong and baked here. Grab the far edge of the fan mounting plate that points straight down when the stove is vertical with some vice grips and give some tugs to separate the silicon that seals the fan plate to the stove body. The Exmek motor has the plus and minus (red and black) reversed from the location of the Pittman motor in my example. I marked the motor in large letters with Black and Red so I wouldn't mix this up. Being DC I expect that if you reverse the polarity it will blow smoke in the house instead of out the vent, and you might not know it until you get the stove all set back. Total job took 4 to 5 hours for me working alone and slowly.
0108171309.jpg
0108171239.jpg
0108171236.jpg
0108171227.jpg
0108171225b.jpg
0108171222.jpg
0108171215a.jpg
The new Exmek motor is running quiet and strong on day two now and all seems to be working great. Attached are some pictures for the visual learners on the fan replacement.

Jethro, thanks for the update on the replacement motors ... hopefully save other Thelin owners grief and extra $$$! The photos of the repair, along with the caution of the wiring difference, is especially appreciated. I know I can read well but like that extra assurance that the photos provide that I'm on the right path...

Last year on Christmas Eve my fan motor failed. It was a fiasco getting new brushes and I too ordered a whole motor assembly from Sierra Products. I ended up replacing the brushes for the third time in the old Pittman motor and just this week needed to switch to the new motor I bought a year ago. It's the ExMek as well and it will run strong for about 4-5 hours before it slows itself down to barely running speeds. If I turn the stove off and let it cool down, the fan is again fine for a few hours and then the fan drops speed again.

Not real familiar with the control set-up on the Thelins. After a period of service, many stoves wear a spot in some of the components that control fan speed, etc. Thinking potentiometers in Harmans. What else would cause a drop in line voltage over time as that's what it sounds like you are experiencing.

Keep us posted.

Last year on Christmas Eve my fan motor failed. It was a fiasco getting new brushes and I too ordered a whole motor assembly from Sierra Products. I ended up replacing the brushes for the third time in the old Pittman motor and just this week needed to switch to the new motor I bought a year ago. It's the ExMek as well and it will run strong for about 4-5 hours before it slows itself down to barely running speeds. If I turn the stove off and let it cool down, the fan is again fine for a few hours and then the fan drops speed again.
The Pittman motor was designed to operate in high temps. Sounds like the replacement may fit in size but not the application.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Interesting that the newer owners of Thelin (Sierra Products) are now supplying ExMek motors... wonder why?

Giving an update on the ExMek Motor I installed in January. It has run nearly every day since install until this report on 3APR17. It has been flawless. It remains quiet and now after burning a couple of tons of pellets I'm happy with it. The proof will be if it lasts a second season or beyond. I usually only got at most 2 winters out of the Pittman motors before the bearings were shot. I can recommend this new motor to last at least one season. I will updated next winter if things change or there is any new development. Thankfully spring is here in the Sierra and my pellet burning is nearly over. Nearly 3 tons burned this winter.

Thanks for coming back with the update and keep us posted on the motor's longevity;) Wishing you a long service life!

i am on the 3rd season with the Exmek fan motor in my Thelin and it has never given me any problems. I have rebuilt my Pittman motor and have it ready should I ever need it.

Hi I am new to this forum but it seems like I came to the right place. I just switched from a Harman pellet stove to a Thelin parlour 3000 and I am already having problems with it. I went to their website and their prices are outrageous. So I am looking for alternatives. The fan doesnt seem to be working at all and I'm reading all through this thread and I like the idea of getting an alternative, hopefully better, fan motor. Does anyone have the link to the motor Jethro got?

Should have kept the Harman.That being said,I do believe the exmex is just Thelins new supplier.Don would know,wil find link--

Pretty sure do cost: (

Reactions: Mt Bob
So I have found the exmek motor on exmek website I want to purchase but it is a chinese company and it shows on the website. Not entirely sure on how to place the order. I went to thelinco.com to order the fan motor gasket and they want to charge $12 for the gasket and $19 for shipping for $31 hahahaha. Not pleased with Thelin so far. I have replaced the brushes in the motor and it still comes off and on so my next step will be to replace the whole motor with the exmek (if i can navigate their site)

So I have found the exmek motor on exmek website I want to purchase but it is a chinese company and it shows on the website. Not entirely sure on how to place the order. I went to thelinco.com to order the fan motor gasket and they want to charge $12 for the gasket and $19 for shipping for $31 hahahaha. Not pleased with Thelin so far. I have replaced the brushes in the motor and it still comes off and on so my next step will be to replace the whole motor with the exmek (if i can navigate their site)
Not sure,but I think exmex is an Mexican company.Don, in one of the links I posted,would know,and probably would give you advise over the phone.

An update on the Exmek motor installed in 2017. Burned about 3 tons a year in 17, 18 and 19 an just now at the end of the winter in 2019 I'm hearing a high pitched occasional whine from what appears to be the Exmek bearings. So it seems in my case that the Exmek was better than the Pittman motor. I'll have to figure out a replace repair strategy on the Exmek. If anyone has the best course plotted please let me know.

Update on the Exmek motor that I installed in 2017. Now nearing the end of the 2020 season in March 2020 and it is still going. I get the high pitched whine once in a while but not everyday. Another 2.5 tons so far this winter. This fan has outlasted the Pittman by a good distance. I may swap it out for a new Exmek this summer.

If any other Thelin owners have new blower fan data or sources please post here.

Also any news or sources for better prices on Thelin parts? I may need to replace the auger as it seems to be getting weaker and stalling once in a while.

Thelin Parlor Pellet continues to be the primary heat for our home after 15 Sierra winters. Update on the Exmek motor. It went 4 winters and still running but making a high pitch whine indicative of bearings. I disassembled the motor today and it is very full of brush wear carbon debris and the lower bearing is very much past useful life. Brushes are about 33% remaining. This is after about 12 tons of pellek bearings were marked "608Z Singapore" but they appeared to be shielded on both sides. The replacement bearings are 608ZZ. Replaced the bearings and put in new brushes and will see how many more tons this will deliver.
20200904_154437.jpg
20200904_134130.jpg
20200904_133019.jpg
20200904_134159.jpg

Thelin Parlor Pellet continues to be the primary heat for our home after 15 Sierra winters. Update on the Exmek motor. It went 4 winters and still running but making a high pitch whine indicative of bearings. I disassembled the motor today and it is very full of brush wear carbon debris and the lower bearing is very much past useful life. Brushes are about 33% remaining. This is after about 12 tons of pellek bearings were marked "608Z Singapore" but they appeared to be shielded on both sides. The replacement bearings are 608ZZ. Replaced the bearings and put in new brushes and will see how many more tons this will deliver.View attachment 262811View attachment 262812View attachment 262813View attachment 262814

New to the forum, I bought a used Thelin Parlour knowing it needs help and these things are motor eaters. (I guess I like torturing myself with projects)

Got an 06 model Parlour pellet stove for $400 in good shape, motors seem to be ok at the moment.
But since these things are possessed, I plan on just rebuilding everything I can before installing it.
I see you've have good luck with the ExMek motor replacement. Been searching for just the motor but no luck, only finding them as complete fan assembly.
Does anyone have a good source for just the ExMek fan motor?
Also a good source for an augur motor, maybe complete if price is right, but was planning on just replacing the bushings with the motor while I'm in there.
Really any good source for every part in these.
Wouldn't mind just picking up spares to have on hand of the control board, fan motor, augur, and bushings/bearings needed.

Any help is greatly appreciated, don't beat me up too much on buying this devils spawn.
If all else fails it becomes yard art in a year or 2 .

Parlour Yard Art,

I like my stove and it serves us well. Footprint and clearance are small. 12 backup power has been very useful.

I haven't found any reliable source for motors other than the OEM https://thelinco.com/

After 15 winters and 35 to 40 tons of pellets through it I'm still on my first auger and circuit board. What I have replaced over the years:

Burn pot I think I'm on the third one.

Blower motor, I think this is the 4th new motor. The Pittman motors needed new bearings at least every 5 tons or so. Brushes about the same. I'm getting about twice the life span on the first Exmek motor, which I put new brushes and bearings in this fall.

My going forward plan is new brushes and bearings rebuild once or twice on the motor case and then a new motor about every 4 or 5 years. The big issue is that the armature wears down too far after a couple of brush changes.

I've found that searching for high quality Japanese bearings is worth the effort. Not all bearings are created equal. The cheap ones on ebay or amazon seem to make one season and the good Nachi made in Japan go two seasons for me.

Amazon product ASIN B00IK4LCWS
Brushes I have only used from from the OEM vendor.

All the OEM parts prices seem very high to me. I too would like another source.

I've replaced the ignitor rod twice. The first one only lasted a couple of years and died cold. The second one (OEM) went 10 plus years and last season started to get weak so I replaced it with this ebay seller item while I was rebuilding the fan motor:
It is working OK so far. First couple of lights were cool but after a few cycles it is as hot as the OEM was. Only a dozen starts so life span is not yet known.

Good luck with your rebuild. Please post here what you learn. I hope it serves you well.

I have been following this thread since my Thelin Parlour started making a loud bearing noise. I have the unit in my airbnb and is an absolute hit for its aesthetics. I finally purchased a replacement blower motor and a T2 sensor from Thelin. As y'all have stated the are blower is an Exmek. Im glad to hear Jethro that they seem to last well. The blower motor I removed was one that I have not seen anyone else post about. It is a Bodine 24a2fepm 12volt. I have done cursory internet searches with not much success. The model seems readily available but none are at 12 V. Eventually I'll get around to inspecting and seeing if the bearings are available to have a good back up should the Exmek go bad.

IMG_7034.jpg IMG_7033-1.jpg 2E2C41E7-BE5B-49E4-B997-62731258BE11.JPG

Reactions: hockeypuck
Maybe you could rebuild the bodine to have a spare? Nice picture of the place. I agree.. it looks great in that setting. I did a quick search as well. Maybe it was a special for thelin since there are temperature and voltage issues. I used to work for Pittman and one of the reasons they discontinued it was lack of demand. It was a special.