Faux stone with Pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kdrymer

Aug 11, 2022
Northeast PA
Hello, I am looking to install a Harman P-61 Pellet stove in a corner of my Living room. I am also considering putting up Faux stone (GenStone or similar) on these 2 corner walls. I would like to run the exhaust/intake air pipe through the wall near the bottom, so a hole would need to be bored through the Faux stone, drywall, and the rest of the wall outside. Are there any issues with having the faux stone surrounding the exhaust pipe going through the wall, or clearances I should use to keep the stone material away so many inches from the exhaust pipe?

I am having the stove installed by a dealer so I will have to inquire what pipe they are planning to use. But generally speaking, as long as the hole through this material is at least 1" bigger on all sides of the pipe than that is acceptable.

I am having the stove installed by a dealer so I will have to inquire what pipe they are planning to use. But generally speaking, as long as the hole through this material is at least 1" bigger on all sides of the pipe than that is acceptable.
There are pieces made specifically for this purpose. Basically they are a steel piece that goes through the wall, provides correct clearance for pipe to go in.
1660247078708.png

Are there in concerns in general with using a Faux stone on the walls around the pellet stove? A couple local building supply places we talked to haven't really heard of doing this before.

Are there in concerns in general with using a Faux stone on the walls around the pellet stove? A couple local building supply places we talked to haven't really heard of doing this before.
As long as you maintain proper clearances to combustibles, it shouldn’t matter. You’re probably not going to want it closer than proper clearances anyway, since you need access for cleaning and maintenance.

It shouldn't matter as long as your stove clearances between the stove body and the walls are sufficient and at least the minimum from the manual. The exhaust pipe goes through a thimble with metal, air space, and clearance built into it, so that shouldn't matter. I have a decorative barnwood wall behind my P43.