Favorite Quad for Tree Work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

StoveInNH

Jan 25, 2023
NH
What's your favorite Quad for tree work?

I use an old 2002 Arctic Cat 300 4x4 and a trailer. This small engined quad has a super low gear range which makes for a lightweight, but torquey machine.

What do you use?

Last edited:
Reactions: j7art2 and MikeK
2003 Honda Foreman 450 4x4 along with a 4'x4' 1090lb capacity Harbor Freight trailer. Works fantastic, plenty of torque and no CVT's to mess with when yanking bound up trees out of each other. No complaints. This pic was from 2014-2015ish, but still in use today, both trailer and ATV.

IMG_20150315_165316905.jpg

Reactions: MikeK
2003 Honda Foreman 450 4x4 along with a 4'x4' 1090lb capacity Harbor Freight trailer. Works fantastic, plenty of torque and no CVT's to mess with when yanking bound up trees out of each other. No complaints. This pic was from 2014-2015ish, but still in use today, both trailer and ATV.

View attachment 311281
I had a 1995 Foreman 400 for years. I rode the heck out of that thing! :)

Had larger mudbug tires, high lifter front and rear lift, and diff lock. My family spent a lot of time learning to ride on that machine.

• Love
Reactions: MikeK and j7art2
I had a 1995 Foreman 400 for years. I rode the heck out of that thing! :)

Had larger mudbug tires, high lifter front and rear lift, and diff lock. My family spent a lot of time learning to ride on that machine.

Mine now has a passenger seat and homemade foot pegs for the wife or kids and larger SunF mud tires now. No lift though unfortunately. It's a combo trail rig and wood hauler. Technically its my father in law's... he bought it new, put 50 miles on it from 2003 to 2008 when I got it but allowed me to semi-permanently borrow it since he never uses it. It's now got about 2000 on it now.

I was using a 1996 Yamaha Big Bear 350 full time 4x4 that's still my snow plowing machine (which ironically also isn't mine and is my dads, simply stored here) but it needs some work as I'm starting to get some clicking from the right front wheel. Not sure if it's the wheel bearing, CV joint, or front axle; haven't gotten into it yet. Odometer stopped working at 862 miles, but I imagine it's probably got close to 8k on it now if I had to guess.

I'm hoping to get the wife to learn how to ride the foreman since it's an electronic thumb shift, then I can fix the Big Bear and we can ride together. I don't mind riding with a passenger, but riding alone is definitely a bit easier.

Reactions: MikeK and StoveInNH
Yea it's cool little truck
Fun to rat bag it though the bush trails.
I can keep up to most side by sides on the trails.
Was out with a group of 10 side by sides and about 6 4 wheelers.
Went everywhere everyone else did,managed to leave a side by side stuck behind in a hole.But it was a chineses side by side. It was fall 8 " snow and raining. I had to remember to put a coat on each time we stopped.Stereo,heater and windshield wipers made for a fun day in the little truck

There is a large ATV rental business in my town to support the ATV trail system. They have one of those Japanese mini trucks set up with a tow rig to tow ATVs off the trails. They charge a premium for a collision damage waiver on top of a hefty rental fee. They end up changing a lot of suspension parts as most folks who rent have never ridden and ATV before.

Reactions: j7art2
What's your favorite Quad for tree work?

I use an old 2002 Arctic Cat 300 4x4 and a trailer. This small engined quad has a super low gear range which makes for a lightweight, but torquey machine.

What do you use?
I just got a 96 Suzuki King Quad. The same as the Arctic Cat. It is definitely a tank!

The KQ has a locking front diff as well as a locked rear. Real 4wd. The AC has the same front axle but didn't incorporate the front diff lock, even though it is there. There is a simple mod to change the lever position so you can access the front diff lock.
20230220_160115_HDR.jpg

My 17 sportsman 570. Possibly going to sell it once my ford 8n is rebuilt since it’ll be taking over the quad’s duties and more.

61B5F320-C425-45AB-AAEA-8BA5DE3D931C.jpeg

I just got a 96 Suzuki King Quad. The same as the Arctic Cat. It is definitely a tank!

The KQ has a locking front diff as well as a locked rear. Real 4wd. The AC has the same front axle but didn't incorporate the front diff lock, even though it is there. There is a simple mod to change the lever position so you can access the front diff lock.
View attachment 311356
No kidding - I just checked it out! Sounds like a rainy day project. :)

Last edited:
Arctic Cat is rebranded Suzuki?

Are they still that way? I was today years old in learning that, and I've been riding powersports since I could walk. That's really kinda neat.

Arctic Cat is rebranded Suzuki?

Are they still that way? I was today years old in learning that, and I've been riding powersports since I could walk. That's really kinda neat.
I really don't know other than the AC 300 and the KQ 300 use the same power train. Its rather unique in itself. The engine, transmission, and rear diff are all one unit, using the same oil to lubricate it all.

View attachment 311356
Hi Art you have it backwards...
The Suzuki was out befor Arctic Cat even thought about wheelers
I have a 250 my Dad bought new in 86 ish.
The King Quad is a more powerful version of the original 250, which were tanks.

Hi Art you have it backwards...
The Suzuki was out befor Arctic Cat even thought about wheelers
I have a 250 my Dad bought new in 86 ish.
The King Quad is a more powerful version of the original 250, which were tanks.
I know that and didn't mean to imply otherwise. If you'd rather I will say the AC is the same as the KQ. Thanks for clearing up any confufion.

I have seen Arctic Cats use Suzuki and Kawasaki engines. I think they used to build bikes and source engines from the bigger companies which was a good plan since Arctic Cat seems to have a reliable reputation.

My brother has a 98 Suzuki Quadrunner 500. It has a geared transmission with a separate high and low range selector. The Suzuki 497 cc engine in that thing is a masterpiece. They built those engines for decades and they are as reliable as any quad engine ever made. With the low range in his transmission the limiting factor is the weight of the machine period. It will pull more than the quad can get traction for even with great tires. I am under the impression that the continuation of said model became the Vinson. I would consider that to be the best working quad I have ever used.

'05 Honda Foreman 500 with a homemade trailer that dumps. I use the setup for soo much around my house it's crazy.

I do not have a Cushman Trackster, but I sure would like one. It will go anywhere, over snow or steep places. I have got a lot of very steep rocky places I can not get to otherwise, but with one of these I could probably get a bunch more wood.

tttt.jpeg

That thing looks like as awful a ride as my Argo 6x6. Here is a picture of my son in it from about 8 years ago. I still have it but don't run it very much anymore now that the kids are old enough to ride quads on their own.

69666 (1).jpeg

Yea, but the title of this thread is favorite quad for tree work, not favorite for a ride. What I really want is something like a miniature tractor or crawler tractor that I can take up into rough country that nothing else will get to.

Yea, but the title of this thread is favorite quad for tree work, not favorite for a ride. What I really want is something like a miniature tractor or crawler tractor that I can take up into rough country that nothing else will get to.

Something like this?
logbullet_mini_forwarder_900x.jpg

Just my personal opinion but I have run 6x6's, 8x8's, side by sides, two and four wheel drive tractors, every manor of construction equipment. If I had to pick something that I knew had the best chance to get me into the toughest place to reach in the wild and back it would be a four wheeler every single time.

Second choice would be a Cat 963 track loader.

Reactions: StoveInNH and Tar12
'90 Polaris Big Boss 4x6 with a trailer. Not a quad, but effective. Tight turns rip up the trail by sliding one set of the rear tires...
IMG_20221026_153647.jpgIMG_20220527_163335.jpg