Favourite Wood for Kindling...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think they make pallets from Tulip Poplar as well..have you gotten any of that? I split either Tulip or Pine..both flame up pretty easily for a quick start.

I've gotten it here and there but it doesn't seem quite as common as the others I mentioned. It's amazing how much oak pallet wood gets thrown out by neighboring businesses. I'll split the smaller boards up into kindling and if they have the 4x4 runners those get used for stacking firewood on.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Black locust twigs. I have a black locust I specifically pollard each year to provide kindling sized twigs. Tied in bundles and left to dry. They burn at the touch of a match.

I also use vine cutting from my vineyard. That also starts a good fire easily and well.

Reactions: CincyBurner
I use these
bill.jpg
;) JK
Actually I use twigs and sticks from the yard, when I run out , I use pallet wood, chop the slats in thin strips with a hatchet, works nicely.