Feedback on Kuma Sequoia wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kuma.tim

Hello everyone! This is John with Kuma Stoves and this is our first post here on Hearth. We are hoping that you guys can give us some feedback on our Sequoia wood stove. It has been our flag ship stove for quite a few years and can be seen here https://www.kumastoves.com/Store/ProductDetails/sequoia.

Have any of you had experience with it or know of anyone who has? What did you/they like about it and what didn't they like (if any)?

Thanks in advance and we look forward to having open communication with you all here on Hearth. If you are interested in finding out more about us please visit us at https://www.kumastoves.com/ we strive to provide the best possible wood stoves in America.

I have been burning my sequoia stove for about two week now and I'm very impressed so far. I have been burning cherry and beech splits and been getting around 12 hour burn times once loaded up and up to temp. Now it has not been really cold yet 31 is the coldest so far, pretty much been in the forties. I really like the convection blower incorporated in the stove. I have never had a cat stove before but it seemed pretty easy to grasp on how to use, maybe they are all easy to operate I don't know but the sequoia is not complicated. I talked with Jason just yesterday to talk about the sequoia had a couple easy questions he answered. I can't wait to see how it does once it gets really cold and is loaded with some good hard wood. From just my two weeks with using it I can definitely see that it produces a tremendous amount of heat. My one main question to Jason was about the glass door pretty much staying dirty all the time I just wanted to make sure I was burning it correctly, which he said is normal. My question for you guys is if this is the case why not just make a solid metal door. I don't really care for a glass door and I know there are others who have the same opinion. This is a very minimal thing but you asked for opinions. Maybe offer both options glass or no glass, but in my opinion the stove would still look great, and no more dirty glass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kuma.tim
I'm currently looking at new properties and think I might have found one (foreclosed) but the plan is to transfer my current BK princess on to the main living floor (ranch style house 2,100 sq ft) and install a Kuma down in the finished basement (also 1,600 sq ft)
The house is in the woods and so are the power lines so I anticipate losing power a lot and I'm pretty much sold on the Kuma sequoia's natural convection deck, that would be perfect to fall back on.

I have been burning my sequoia stove for about two week now and I'm very impressed so far. I have been burning cherry and beech splits and been getting around 12 hour burn times once loaded up and up to temp. Now it has not been really cold yet 31 is the coldest so far, pretty much been in the forties. I really like the convection blower incorporated in the stove. I have never had a cat stove before but it seemed pretty easy to grasp on how to use, maybe they are all easy to operate I don't know but the sequoia is not complicated. I talked with Jason just yesterday to talk about the sequoia had a couple easy questions he answered. I can't wait to see how it does once it gets really cold and is loaded with some good hard wood. From just my two weeks with using it I can definitely see that it produces a tremendous amount of heat. My one main question to Jason was about the glass door pretty much staying dirty all the time I just wanted to make sure I was burning it correctly, which he said is normal. My question for you guys is if this is the case why not just make a solid metal door. I don't really care for a glass door and I know there are others who have the same opinion. This is a very minimal thing but you asked for opinions. Maybe offer both options glass or no glass, but in my opinion the stove would still look great, and no more dirty glass.
Thanks for the feedback Heavy Hammer! We are glad you are enjoying your stove so far and that is great feedback on the stove door, I'll pass that on to the higher ups.

Reactions: heavy hammer
I'm currently looking at new properties and think I might have found one (foreclosed) but the plan is to transfer my current BK princess on to the main living floor (ranch style house 2,100 sq ft) and install a Kuma down in the finished basement (also 1,600 sq ft)
The house is in the woods and so are the power lines so I anticipate losing power a lot and I'm pretty much sold on the Kuma sequoia's natural convection deck, that would be perfect to fall back on.
That sounds like a great idea Kennyp2339! We would love to answer any questions you may have when you are ready to do the install and good look on getting that property.

Kennyp2339 I believe you will you will love the stove I have that current setup now. I just have a pacific energy summit insert on the first floor and the kuma sequoia in the finished basement. I have not had a real cold day to test the stoves yet but they both easily heat my house the kuma has done it itself on just these cooler days. I like the ease of the kuma and the convection heat it puts out is amazing. If you like a warm home you will be very happy, plus the stove has a reasonable price tag in my opinion for what your getting. With my setup I didn't have to buy very much pipe either which kept prices down. Hope your new place works out, if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask I will try to answer them the best I can.

I cant wait to get more updates as the winter progresses, also is this a purchase through a dealer only type of stove?

I think so I only knew of two dealers my way that carried the kuma, and only one was willing to get the sequoia in his shop this summer. The dealer had a great selection and was great to work with. He had sold kuma's before but never sold a sequoia until I purchased one this summer. You could always call kuma to find out how to purchase one.

I cant wait to get more updates as the winter progresses, also is this a purchase through a dealer only type of stove?
Hello Kenny, we do have a large offering of local dealers that will be able to sell you a stove. If you go here, https://www.kumastoves.com/Dealers/Locator you can search by zip code. If there isn't a local dealer in your area you can also purchase from us directly and we'll ship it to you.

Hope this helps and thanks for your interest in Kuma Stoves!

I think so I only knew of two dealers my way that carried the kuma, and only one was willing to get the sequoia in his shop this summer. The dealer had a great selection and was great to work with. He had sold kuma's before but never sold a sequoia until I purchased one this summer. You could always call kuma to find out how to purchase one.
That's a great point hammer, if anyone would like to purchase a stove from us please visit https://www.kumastoves.com/ or give us a call at 888-714-5294.

Welcome to hearthdotcom, John. Looking forwards to your input on the Kuma product line.

we have 5 Kuma stoves on display in our Grass Valley shop (not sure how many in the other shop), and sell a lot of ashwoods and aspens,
the aspen and ashwoods fit nicely into firplaces and have a trimable surround option that is clutch for inside fit surround panel jobs.

great products, great company, great customer service
Jason has always been super helpful
keep up the good work!

The customer service has been great. With both kuma and the place we purchased our stoves from Cherry Valley Stoves. Jason at Kuma has been extremely helpful with any questions I have had for him, just a great company to work with.

I put in a couple of our Kuma displays. I'm very impressed with the aspen insert! It had some very innovative options that make it so easy to fit into small fireplaces. This has always been a big issue for us and this stove addresses these issues. The panels offer an almost infinite range of projection on the insert, this is priceless on small fireplaces, prefabs in particular. The removable flue collar just sweetens the deal!

we have 5 Kuma stoves on display in our Grass Valley shop (not sure how many in the other shop), and sell a lot of ashwoods and aspens,
the aspen and ashwoods fit nicely into firplaces and have a trimable surround option that is clutch for inside fit surround panel jobs.

great products, great company, great customer service
Jason has always been super helpful
keep up the good work!
Thanks Heatsource for the feedback! I'll pass the praise onto Jason for you.

I put in a couple of our Kuma displays. I'm very impressed with the aspen insert! It had some very innovative options that make it so easy to fit into small fireplaces. This has always been a big issue for us and this stove addresses these issues. The panels offer an almost infinite range of projection on the insert, this is priceless on small fireplaces, prefabs in particular. The removable flue collar just sweetens the deal!
Thanks for the comment webby3650! That was one of the main focus's of ours when we developed the Aspen insert. We are glad it is working as designed.

Hey folks,

I wanted to fill you all in on what's happening with the KumaStoves account that kicked off this thread.

This account was created by a 3rd party marketing company, not directly by a Kuma Stoves employee. They are great guys to work with in case you need a referral for online marketing. However, hearth.com is not a venue where we want to be represented indirectly.

It just so happens that we are adding a member to our sales and support team starting tomorrow. His name is Tim, and he's transitioning out of our finish department into the office side.

So, we'll be using this account for Tim, and I'll be asking the hearth.com owner to switch the username to kuma.tim.

I appreciate your understanding. And, we're looking forward to continuing with the hearth.com community in a fair, respectful, and (mostly) unbiased way.

Be warm,
Jason

Looking forward to talking with Tim.

Hey folks,

I wanted to fill you all in on what's happening with the KumaStoves account that kicked off this thread.

This account was created by a 3rd party marketing company, not directly by a Kuma Stoves employee. They are great guys to work with in case you need a referral for online marketing. However, hearth.com is not a venue where we want to be represented indirectly.

It just so happens that we are adding a member to our sales and support team starting tomorrow. His name is Tim, and he's transitioning out of our finish department into the office side.

So, we'll be using this account for Tim, and I'll be asking the hearth.com owner to switch the username to kuma.tim.

I appreciate your understanding. And, we're looking forward to continuing with the hearth.com community in a fair, respectful, and (mostly) unbiased way.

Be warm,
Jason

I think it's awesome to see Kuma stoves represented here. I wish more manufactures would make themselves available this way. To me it shows you're confident in your products and not afraid of a little constructive criticism. :)

Hey folks,

Be warm,
Jason
Jason- Well done, the amount of good will, marketing, and smart consumer feedback that you will get by being part of this community will result in lots of additional sales, I suspect. Myself, I already went to your website and read about the company, and your team out in Idaho, and now Kuma is definitely on my radar next time I am looking for a new stove. Also, wise choice to have a team member instead of a third party marketing company participating. This site is one excellent example of the future of how successful companies will connect with their customers.

Jason- Well done, the amount of good will, marketing, and smart consumer feedback that you will get by being part of this community will result in lots of additional sales, I suspect. Myself, I already went to your website and read about the company, and your team out in Idaho, and now Kuma is definitely on my radar next time I am looking for a new stove. Also, wise choice to have a team member instead of a third party marketing company participating. This site is one excellent example of the future of how successful companies will connect with their customers.
I've talked with Jason and Mark at length in the past. You'd have a very hard time finding a better bunch of people.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Jason and kuma have been great with help and service. I couldn't be happier with my sequoia.