Feel like just giving up in north central PA.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
One of the reasons it has taken us this long to make a purchase and install a wood boiler into our basement is finding an installer that seems to have the knowledge of heating with storage and an oil back up boiler. Last year we thought we finally found somebody that knew exactly what we are talking about and he is now a "dealer" for a well known wood boiler company. Problem is trying to get him to return phone calls and/or emails, which does not exactly fill us with confidence that he would be a relaible contractor. If I had some plumbing/heating experience I would attempt this myself but I know this is something best left to a professional...so I will not even think of it. I did speak with another well known brand dealer today but they want $200 to come and give me an estimate to install due to the 2+ hour drive to my house from their shop.

Is this "normal"??? Are we perhaps in no man's area here in north central PA?

Where in Central PA are you? It was tough to find an installer but not impossible. If you're close to Lancaster / Morgantown, I can refer you to my installer. I did a lot of the install (grunt work) myself and left the hook-up to him.

I would be more than happy to do the grunt work!!!! We are near Williamsport.......probably too far for your installer?

If Jim K's referral doesn't work out you can call my install guy to schedule. Just send me an email with your contact info and I forward the number. I spoke to him this morning and he's willing to do the work if you need help cutting things in. What type of boiler are you looking at? Reason I'm asking is because this person in experienced with Seton and Central Boiler. I know the concepts are the same for most all (supply and return) but there are other nuances that may change things. My boiler runs as a closed system, heating my direct hot water and also is connected to my oil furnace (used as a backup).

Thanks to those that pm'd me...appears I may have found my installer. Local man and his son...they responded to a Craigslist ad I placed. Dad is a master plumber and has installed both residential and commercial boilers, has references including the local school district...actually knew what I was talking about and when I showed him the primary/secondary piping on this site he said "no problem" and was what he was going to suggest anyhow...even has a friend that has a boiler with storage! Best of all he's not charging me for his time but wants $20/hr. while his son learns the trade with his supervision. Looks like total labor cost will be somewhere around $800 to install wood boiler and keep existing oil boiler as back up, plumb for storage(actual storage probably a future project) and plumb to add on a snow melt zone(another future project). Seems to me $800 plus materials is decent?

muncybob said:
Seems to me $800 plus materials is decent?

I'd go with that in a minute. If I could have found somebody that has installed that much equipment and they would do my install for $800.00, I'd hire them in a minute. I'd have paid that instead of doing it myself and then fixing my mistakes. Sounds like a excellent deal.

It is hard to believe that a licensed plumber would work for$20 an hour, they are usually really proud of their license. Might ask for their license #, run it just to make sure it hasen't been pulled for some reason. Better safe than sorry.

I'll be checking him out once I get the firm quote. Will be easy to check on his work as he claims to have just installed a boiler system into the local Elementary School here. I get the feeling he's taking a week "off" here and there to get his son off the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.