Felled trees everywhere.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Just going down the private road I live on and then the lil backroad it runs to, and just about every rd I drive on with mounts along em, have felled trees, just making my mouth water. I see literally chords & chords of wood lying, going to waste or rotting and I want to scoop it all up. I don't really want to without permission, but some of these areas have noi houses on them. How do you all handle scrounging when you see all this wood laying going to waste? If they was cuts, I'd think about tossing a load at a time as I drive by. But they is full length trees. I'd have to fireup a chainsaw, and some have houses in the vicinity. I don't want to piss folks off running my chainsaw on wood that isn't mine. I mean its everywhere.

county courthouse has maps that shows who owns what, possibly its a developer and unsold properties?

contact the land owner, and strike a deal ' You need it to look cleaner to sell, Im willing to cut up the wood and haul it out"

Hogwildz said:
Just going down the private road I live on and then the lil backroad it runs to, and just about every rd I drive on with mounts along em, have felled trees, just making my mouth water. I see literally chords & chords of wood lying, going to waste or rotting and I want to scoop it all up. I don't really want to without permission, but some of these areas have noi houses on them. How do you all handle scrounging when you see all this wood laying going to waste? If they was cuts, I'd think about tossing a load at a time as I drive by. But they is full length trees. I'd have to fireup a chainsaw, and some have houses in the vicinity. I don't want to piss folks off running my chainsaw on wood that isn't mine. I mean its everywhere.

I would try going to your local Town Hall with a list of addresses, or at least street names. They should have records in the Tax Assessor's office showing who owns the different properties so you can ask permission.

Alternatively, ask the nearby neighboors - they should either be able to give you permission or tell you who to ask.

Good Luck,

Gooserider

In my county the tax assessor page is on-line and viewable by the public. You can see what the tax value is on a home, how much taxes were paid last year, and who owns the property.

I forget whether you mentioned if the road was a private road or county road. If a county road, then the county is suppose to do all the repairs and maintainence, which probably would include tree removal.

FWIW- I got in trouble two years ago for cleaning out a culvert at the edge of my property. No fines or anything, just a county road guy coming by and telling me to stop. I then had to file a report, and wait 4 months for the county to come out and clean out the culvert.

Our tax assessor page is on-line as well. That how we got our lot.Went though the tax map and cold call the owners of empty lots.

They are still alot of downed trees on backroads around here from Tropical Storm Ernesto months ago.

I found a nice backroad with lots of white oak cut up in lengths, and chucked to the side (where they must have blocked the road when they fell)

It was convenient to have the "Adopt a Highway" sign a hundred feet away. So, the way I see it, I am helping to clean up the highway. Already cut one load, and will return to get 2-3 more.

Everyone waves to me when they drive by, and the old timers stop to yak. "Thatttlll make goood wooood for next yeara"

within a mile of my house I have found all the hardwood I could possibly use. I just leave a note in a mailbox saying that I will take away the bulk of their downed trees if they don't want them. have had more folks call me than I can actually handle. I may actually hit the 10 cord mark this year. after that, there isn't much reason for me to cut and split till next winter. I don't want my wood turning to fras.

Low and behold, I am driving through town today, and a crew cut down 3 or 4 tall trees looks to be Oak, at the townsip bldg. I oull over ask the guy cleaning up, what they do with the wood. He said call his boss he wasn't sure. Mean time he tells me he has a ton of wood at their trailer, gave me his & his bosses #'s. I called the boss, he said we haul it away, but....if ya want it, hows $100.00 bucks sound? Its approx 3 cords. I said how bout delivering. He says, how bout $150.00 deliverd. I told him I'd be there in the morn to set it up. It ain't free, but round here thats not too bad a price. Still have to ask the other guys also. Gonna out notes in my neighbors mail boxes offering to clear their downed trees out for them. Bet theres about 8-10 cords worth just along the road. Just fierd up the fuego flame, gawd I can't wait till I get the summit in. I have a Cadillac in the garage and I'm driving a Yugo. Thats what it feels like anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.