Felling advice, and Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lcback

Feeling the Heat
Feb 21, 2016
Pennsylvania
This guy broke in half sometime in the winter. Looking to take it down for the 17/18 winter
Also not sure what it is. I'm pretty new at tree ID and I have learned I can only reliably ID black cherry, silver maple, beech, basically stuff I have already worked with. I have some close ups of a tree that looks just the same right beside it that came down and I could get too.

uploadfromtaptalk1467245669025.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1467245703816.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1467245716160.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1467245734343.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1467245742733.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1467245759610.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sassafras . . . mitten-shaped leaves that are aromatic when bruised; bark is blocky, reddish; and wood itself is reddish/ orange, light and burns quickly but doesn't have long lasting coals.

Reactions: CTYank
Makes sense. I thought it smelled pretty. Well. It won't be fantastic. And I'm not willing to risk that snapped in half guy for sassafrass. Thanks

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

It is do-able, but not one for an inexperienced person to start on. If in doubt, have an experienced cutter help you on this one, or pass this one up. It looks like you have plenty easier picks.
The wood isn't the greatest burning.

Jeff Jepson's two books: The Tree Climber's Companion, and To Fell a Tree A Complete Guide to Tree Felling and Woodcutting Methods is a good start.

Reactions: 7acres
That would be a giant of a sassafras in my part of the world. Be careful is the best advice I can give you. Hangers like that are dangerous every time. They can be unpredictable. Take your time and be safe. If you don't feel comfortable with it leave it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? Do you think it could be something else?
It smells wonderful when cutting. So I'm betting it is.

Here is the third load of sassafras from the smaller of the two.
Probably not going to take the other one down. Maybe I'll get lucky and the wind will. Otherwise it's at least off the groin for later.
0129f23f832cbcf8f1ed4a5ec0e4322c.jpg

Really? Do you think it could be something else?
It smells wonderful when cutting. So I'm betting it is.

No, it has all the makings of sassafras it's just really big compared to what I'm used to. Down here sassafras is mainly an understory tree.

Did that tree have a lot of leaves without lobes?I usually only see mitten shaped leaves on new growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay. From what I saw all the leaves were like the picture I posted. This was a tree that fell over in the winter. No leaves growing out of the main branches. Only from the new off shoots where it was still attached to the trunk

Status
Not open for further replies.