Felling Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
For all the brothers out there that are reading this thread. Just my take on this. Assuming the base is cut through, the come along method normally works well. Pulling the base back, allowing the hung up branches to slide down the tree, or shift it's weight to cause a roll, will put it on the ground. Fairly safe as your not under or near the tree. I would not try cutting the hung up branches from the ground under the tree. It's all coming down, and your under it and way to close. In the video the first tree was a leaner / blow over, with the trunk still in the ground. Notice the trunk never moved. In the rest of the videos the back cut folded the tree as both sides moved. Two different situations with different cutting solutions. When the base is free I've back cut causing the tree to fold. I feel comfortable doing this as the main tree moves away from you. But it's all very dangerous. You need to fully understand the weights.

Last edited:
On a side note, what’s it like digging around your place? I see lots of rocks!
Yeah, this $30 winch already paid for itself and I'm guessing that I'll be using it a lot going forward. Can't believe I didn't have one before!

To your question, digging in my area is out of the question. I have no basement, I'm directly on bedrock. I can't dig down more than a few inches in any spot without hitting a boulder. There's even a boulder sticking up through the foundation of my garage. It's pretty around here, but hard to garden or build anything. Also, trees tend to blow over easily.