Felling Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JSeery

Feeling the Heat
Feb 12, 2015
Irvington, NY
This is exactly what I didn't want to happen. Big black birch on the border of my property. Bottom is really rotten so I was worried about my kids playing near it (this is right by my backyard). I tried to fall it forward, but all the limbs were weighting it backward. So, it leaned back, pinched my saw, and when I went to get my smaller saw I saw it fall into an oak behind it. Now it's hung up. See pics. What should I do? I don't have a tractor or ATV, otherwise I'd try to tow the base forward. I don't think there's any wood actually connecting the base. I've tried making a few relief cuts to see if I can get it to pop off the stump, but I'm pretty nervous. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.
C48855A7-D401-40F3-9059-D5AE0130D60F.jpeg
6F189A82-98B9-4ACE-9A5C-E486B18FF0D7.jpeg

If you have cut all the way thru use a come along to pull it free.
If not try sliding a rope up the stem as far as you can with a slender sapling.
And use the the come along to pull the branch's free .

It appears that if you pull the butt to the left side you
will clear those boulders.
May be tricky but if you have a piece of scrap plywood to land the butt on it to prevent the butt from digging in.
With out a tractor it's going to take awhile, stay safe!

Last edited:
I can't quite tell if this would be possible since the size is difficult to judge, but I'd make an undercut to connect to what looks like the top cut you already made--this is commonly called "fence posting" since the trunk of the tree will often drive itself into the ground like a fence post. Needless to say, this is dangerous and you really wouldn't want to get your foot caught under the trunk. Might also be good to have a friend somewhere nearby in case things don't go well. I'd continue making a shallow top cut and then an undercut to eventually get the tree down--one few foot chunk at a time. I might consider calling a pro if things are too complicated. Good luck.

Reactions: Jeffm1
I see a cut at 18" a cut at 24" a cut at 32" last cut 4'
I would stay the hell out of there with a saw!

When you get it a lot more horizontal, you can think about a bottom cut.

Last edited:
A truck would bring that down.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
My advice would be to get some help from a knowledgeable friend. Safest way is prob to put a come-along above the second cut and finish the cut as much as safe and see if yiu can get i to come off the stump and maybe lay down. I highly recommend getting some assistance from then on. Im not recommending this technique necessarily, especially if you are innexperienced, but it has helped me (with much smaller and easier trees) and at least you can see how dangerous these tree can be even with veteran pros.
BE CAREFUL!!

Reactions: Prof
Thanks, everyone. I can't get a truck back there (very narrow paths to this part of the property), but I went to Harbor Freight and picked up this 4 ton hand winch and a couple straps. I had thought about stepping it down with additional cuts as some of you have recommended, but I decided that was beyond my skill set. I'd really like to be a safe distance away from this thing whenever it moves, so I'm thinking I'll anchor this winch to another tree or boulder, and then see if I can pull the base forward as though I were using a tractor. In an ideal world, it would just fall before I have a chance to get out there this coming weekend, but I don't think I'm that lucky and it looks like this is wedged in there. In the meantime, everyone's under strict instructions not to go near it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/winches/8000-lb-cable-winch-puller-69855.html

NO AMATEUR TOUCH THAT TREE WITH A SAW PERIOD.

Maybe with much caution! you could try a come along,with a length of chain attached to the come along to increase the safety margin
If you are going to pull that forward keep in mind it could come at you like a freight train. May I suggest a pull to the left, once on the ground then pull it forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: JSeery
NO AMATEUR TOUCH THAT TREE WITH A SAW PERIOD.

Maybe with much caution! you could try a come along,with a length of chain attached to the come along to increase the safety margin
If you are going to pull that forward keep in mind it could come at you like a freight train. May I suggest a pull to the left, once on the ground then pull it forward.
Thanks for all the advice. Safety is my goal for sure.

Reactions: jackatc1
what about a long pole saw? can you reach it from the ground, and cut the branches holding it up?

what about a long pole saw? can you reach it from the ground, and cut the branches holding it up?
I have a power pole saw, but it's not long enough to reach. Might be able to get it with a manual one, but then I'd be positioned pretty close to under the tree. That limb has to be under a lot of pressure, hopefully it snaps on its own.

I have a power pole saw, but it's not long enough to reach. Might be able to get it with a manual one, but then I'd be positioned pretty close to under the tree. That limb has to be under a lot of pressure, hopefully it snaps on its own.

at least with a pole saw, you can take off the majority of the limb that might fall on your head first, then if it pinches or snaps when you are cutting the part under stress you can either leave it hanging, or push with less risk.

I would do the cuts in the following order, others might have different advice based upon experience.
black
blue
green
red

upload_2018-2-5_10-20-40.png

at least with a pole saw, you can take off the majority of the limb that might fall on your head first, then if it pinches or snaps when you are cutting the part under stress you can either leave it hanging, or push with less risk.

I would do the cuts in the following order, others might have different advice based upon experience.
black
blue
green
red

View attachment 222452
Thanks for the advice. Looks like a good option and I'll check it out.

Thanks, everyone. I can't get a truck back there (very narrow paths to this part of the property), but I went to Harbor Freight and picked up this 4 ton hand winch and a couple straps. I had thought about stepping it down with additional cuts as some of you have recommended, but I decided that was beyond my skill set. I'd really like to be a safe distance away from this thing whenever it moves, so I'm thinking I'll anchor this winch to another tree or boulder, and then see if I can pull the base forward as though I were using a tractor. In an ideal world, it would just fall before I have a chance to get out there this coming weekend, but I don't think I'm that lucky and it looks like this is wedged in there. In the meantime, everyone's under strict instructions not to go near it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/winches/8000-lb-cable-winch-puller-69855.html
This might work, but I've been underwhelmed more often than not when using one of these. I think I might opt for a pro if the winch doesn't work. There is a local guy that I am friends with who I call when things are outside of my comfort zone. If he doesn't have to use his truck or climb a tree, I just pay him in beer and pizza.

By pulling to the left you create more torque applying more twisting force at the top.
Hopefully and I mean hopefully rolling those hung up branches clear.
By pulling strait I believe from past experience the butt will either dig in or just liftoff the ground and hang there.
I have the advantage of a large 4x4 tractor which is what is called for in this case.

Last edited:
This might work, but I've been underwhelmed more often than not when using one of these. I think I might opt for a pro if the winch doesn't work. There is a local guy that I am friends with who I call when things are outside of my comfort zone. If he doesn't have to use his truck or climb a tree, I just pay him in beer and pizza.
Yeah. I'm gonna try the winch from a safe distance. If no luck with that, I'll probably just call a pro.

When I first started on this site, someone told me about this book which has a bunch of good info.
img3.jpg

• Monday, March 5: DEC Taconic Herford Multiple Use Area, Pleasant Valley, Dutchess County

• Wednesday, March 7: SUNY ESF Heiberg Forest, Tully, Onondaga County

• Friday, March 16: McCollum Orchards, Lockport, Niagara County

• Saturday, March 17: McCollum Orchards, Lockport, Niagara County

About the class: The Level 1 class focuses on introducing the participant to open face felling and the development of techniques to safely use it. Topics covered include personal protective equipment, chainsaw safety features, chainsaw reactive forces, bore cutting, pre-planning the fell, and understanding hinge wood strength. All classes are held from 8 am to 4 pm, and there is a participation fee of $25.

What to bring: Participants are expected to bring personal safety equipment, including a logging helmet, hearing protection, and logging chaps, along with a chain saw. If you do not own these items, some will be provided during the class; the one exception is the logging helmet, which you must supply yourself. Participants should also bring a packed lunch.

To register for one of the classes, please call NYCAMH at 800.343.7527/607.547.6023 or e-mail [email protected].
A must coarse for all loggers, in NY Pros. must attend for insurance purposes.
I did about ten years ago.

Please distribute this information to anyone you think would be interested. Most NYFOA events are free and open to the public.

You received this message as a subscriber on the list:
nyfoa-sot-[email protected]
To be removed from the list, send any message to:
nyfoa-sot-news-[email protected]

Last edited:
at least you got it to fall in the right direction, those half rotted, twisted trunks are hard to predict and control.

I've cut a bunch like that but wouldn't recommend a specific ce saw cuts .

I've used a bow saw to deepen the base saw cuts carefully while listening for cracking sounds as things start to move. You can sometimes get the trunk to rotate off the hang up with careful and appropriate little saw cuts.

I'm a little weird about this stuff, but I've had fun with these and dragged mauls,axes,come alongs, prybars into the woods. The moment of victory is sweet.

Do not get under the tree and always have your exit steps planned for when the fall starts

UPDATE: tree is safely down. I just used the winch and it came right down without any fuss. Thanks for all the input. Really glad I stopped cutting last weekend and asked you all for advice before I got hurt.
1FDBA56A-DC24-480C-A9A1-2FFF1F39576F.jpeg

Good deal. Next time you can use the winch to help coax those hang ups down in a safe direction. I’ve had seemingly super easy trees do weird and scary things. Good to have the right tools with to resolve those things before they become a situation. Accidents happen fast so way to keep your head up and recognize when it’s time to stop and think it through

On a side note, what’s it like digging around your place? I see lots of rocks!