Files for Sharpening: Best value?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zzr7ky

Minister of Fire
Jun 12, 2006
Hi -

I'm finally hit a fence wire in a tree that I had to cut. Since it might well contain more wire I filed it back and finished cutting lower and higher... Saved the chain, but the file is gone...

This got me to thinking. What is the best value in files for sharpening chains?

We're talking only hand filing here.

Stihl?, Oregon?, Diamond hone?

Thanks in advance,
Mike P

Stihl files have done me fine, but I only do touch-ups with the files since I have a grinder. No complaints from those folks I know using the WoodsmanPro or Pferd files from Bailey's. No hands-on experience with Oregon files.

I would go to a saw dealer and pick up a pack of a dozen files for the kind of chain you run. They're pretty cheap, and I think they're all good. Pick up a raker file and a raker gauge while you're at it.

Any file made in Europe.

Usually my Husky dealer is stocking Oregon files $1.00 a piece...One day was cutting and could not find any in the truck so swung by a Ace Hardware and the Oregon file there was like 3.00.

Thanks guy1

Vintage - That's what brought me to the board with this. I hit a fence in a log and bought a pair of files from a local store; not a saw dealer...

I just got another 'tree call'... "Hey my Dad said you might cut a tree for me?" I hope it's in a safe place to lay it down!

Thanks,
Mike P

I use a Dremmel elec hand grinder with a 4.5 mm stone attachment........stones cost about a buck each and I can sharpen a chain with no jig in about 3 minutes........quick and easy ..........the 90% solution.....

Status
Not open for further replies.