Final Goodbye?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoiledOver

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2013
43°58'55 N - 85°20' W
Is this our final goodbye to summer? We hit 70F here today (11-18-2016) and expecting 1-3 inches of snow over night.

Identical here. I had a huge list of outdoor to-dos, but opted for a leisurely day on the porch reading, threw back a cold one, gave the dog his last outdoor bath, and even picked fresh veg from the garden. My outdoor to-dos will suck (relatively) in the cold, but today was worth it!

Meanwhile, to the north a bit, Munising MI expecting 4-7 inches, 60mph gusts, and 17-22 ft waves on Lake Superior. Gordon Lightfoot is hereby summoned.

We've had quite the respite, but now it's time for November's cold chains. I'm ready.

Yup, those of us on the East Coast get one more day of nice weather (well, more like a half day). I don't really mind the change, though--I've got a bunch of oak to split but prefer doing that when it's chilly. Unfortunately, with the time change, I have almost no time during the week because it's dark by the time I get home.

Wood splitting aside, what we really need is rain, but it doesn't look like we'll be getting much until next week. The southern Appalachians are even worse off so I can't complain too much. :(

i am ready for the cooler temps and some sort of moisture. we sure have had more than our share of warm sunny days here and it left us dried out and now we have wildfires a blaze. air quality alerts for the last 2 weeks and evacuating schools and homes across the county from us.

Yep it was 78 degrees here yesterday. I cut the grass and washed the vehicles in shorts and t-shirt. It's 38 this morning with a low of 29 tonight. Winter weather is finally here I think. This is longest driest summer i can remember since 99. Even by Mississippi standards.

Is this our final goodbye to summer? We hit 70F here today (11-18-2016) and expecting 1-3 inches of snow over night.

Oh, no. Not the final goodbye here. Snow and freezing temps last weekend and earlier in the week. Today, and all this weekend, warm and sunny predicted. Last week in the month predicted to be freezing again.

Looks like there will be no "easing" from one season to another this year. Looks more a like a roller coaster ride to me.

It is now 3:00 PM (GMT+1) and I only now started a fire. Not so much for the indoor temps (which are currently fine at 70°F (21°C)) but just to warm the rooms up a bit to allow for normal overnight cooling back to about 70°F (21°C) tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
We're supposed to get a little snow tomorrow. I think I'll get the snow tires put on the hardly used truck today. The other cars I can put on easily and I'll hold off on them until later.

I get downdraft in my stove, so that is another reason to keep it a little warm.

Had lunch outside, it was so beautiful. Then around 2:30 the wind started howling and the temps dropped by the minute. Gave up clearing leaves for today because I couldn't keep up. Not sure if we'll get much precip but I see from the radar that it's snowing not too far west of here. Welcome to winter! :eek:

Mother natures preview of the coming months here.

I spent the entire day outside doing wood, leaves, and grass in a t-shirt.
This morning 1/2" of snow and 34 deg. Got a firebox full of ash and a hot coffee now.

It stayed nicer than nice until almost Halloween. Great summer extension.

Last edited:
43 degrees at noon. I suspect summer may be over here.

I prefer low temps for splitting and was really looking forward to some ax time today but then the wind picked up again. I don't like having to dodge falling branches so I put my plans on hold. A lady around here got injured pretty badly by a falling branch yesterday so that was a pretty good reminder for me not to play chicken with Mother Nature. At least I was able to haul up a few wheelbarrow loads of splits before the wind kicked up. Nothing like schlepping some heavy oak up a steep slope to get your blood pumping on a cold morning!

image.jpg
Beautiful day yesterday (13*C), decided to split few rounds for couple of hours.

Today wet snow falling very windy and hovering around 0*C. Not a nice day.

Reactions: Oldman47
I closed the garden today with this harvest. 3 inches of snow at 24 degrees, and they still hung on.
image.jpg

mmmm. sprouts and bacon, yummmm

80º on thursday, 30º and 5 inches on snow by friday morning. back up in the high 60's over the weekend, and now its going to snow again here.

29 degrees. Lake effect snow drifting. 40 mph gusts A foot on the ground already. The IR is blazing house is toasty! I love it and despise it at the same time!

The "little" snow we were supposed to get turned out to be 17". Pretty dense stuff to. Put strain on snowblower.
Summer to 17", WOW. Talk about a quick switch.

Tough on the blower but what if ya had been using a shovel? Well, when I was a kid, we usetuh.............

It's been warm here for the last few days (12-16C) but the rain hasn't let up in a week. Bit of sun at the moment but another 10-20 mm for tonight and more for the rest of the week. My wood is soaking wet. Worst part is even with a sunny day, the sun hardly touches my backyard this time of year. I guess I'll be trying the dehumidifier/tarp trick in the shed to dry it out enough where it wont get moldy.

Status
Not open for further replies.