Finally bought it! F55

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

john84

Oct 22, 2013
Mass
I finally stopped procrastinating and bought a new F55. I'm pretty excited to get it put in place. I'm planning on doing the break in burns outside, is there any problem doing that?

Reactions: begreen and webfish
I finally stopped procrastinating and bought a new F55. I'm pretty excited to get it put in place. I'm planning on doing the break in burns outside, is there any problem doing that?

Not a bit. If you have a couple of pieces of stove pipe you can put on for a temporary chimney in the yard, that'll help.

I've never burned the stove off outside. Each time I've had fresh paint, I've been lucky that the temps were warm enough that I just opened up windows and let her rip.

Enjoy!

Reactions: 7acres
One thing to keep in mind if you do your break in burns outside before installing your stove. You have to do several small fires in the stove and let it cool down before you can start doing normal hot fires in it or you risk damage to the stove. Those first few small fires don't really do much for off gassing in my experience. It's not until you start burning some hot fires that you get stronger smells. And even then you will continue getting smells each time you burn a slightly hotter fire in the stove. I don't think it's worth the hassle of setting the stove up outdoors and doing a half dozen fires in it just to deal with the smell of a new stove. At this time of years you can just burn it in the house with the windows slightly open to take care of the off gassing.

Reactions: Mackj
I did my break-in fires inside fully installed with all the doors open in some nice cool weather. Hand towel in hand for fanning the smoke detectors that got triggered.

Congratulations on a purchasing great wood stove!

Did mine outside on one of my five stoves (Jotul Firelight). Used 12 feet of pipe, and it was marginal for draft. Never did reach some of the prescribed stovetop temps, probably due to it being cold out on the days I was doing the successive fires. I just judged what the stovetop should be, based on the size of the fire in the box, since I had experience with that model.

I think it's worth doing, to keep some of the initial / primary stink out of the house, but still expect to redo with proper / known temps, when you move it indoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30 outside burn.JPG
Do it. Your canary will thank you for it. Just know that you will have to leave the door cracked open because draft will pretty much be non-existent if you don't.

30 breakin.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope to get that done this weekend. I'm not sure if I'll get around to pulling the liner to wrap it with insulation this season.

Has anyone stuffed roxul in the top few feet of the chimney and noticed a difference? I have a decent amount left over from the block off plate.

Last weekend I installed a new pipe and gave the stove a good coat of stove black. Naturally I had to lite it to "cure". Within minutes, The wife came down to the basement "did you light that woodstove? It's only September!" I could not tell a lie

I can't believe I'm writing this but due to some big family obligations and for the most part decent weather I won't be installing the F55 until this weekend.

I have been going thru some threads in search of the answer to my question and I really can't come up with the right answer.

Some quick info I have an exterior chimney that is pushing 40 feet with a 6 inch liner at this point it is not insulated. My previous stove a VC encore 2040 seamed to be Uncontrollable at times. I picked up a stainless Tee with a 10 inch snout.

Should I install a pipe damper?

Yes, add the damper

Reactions: jotulguy
40 feet from ground, or from stove collar? If from the collar, that's insane! Damper mandatory.

Reactions: jotulguy
40 feet is pretty long. Normally folks don't often need a damper . . . but in your case I would install one from the get go as the worse case scenario is you never need it but have it installed just in case.

It's a 2 story colonial, I haven't measured it but I bought 2 soot eater kits and they don't reach the top. If I remember right each kit is 18 feet.

I will try to get a accurate measurement later today it may be closer to 36. I will also double check that I used all the rods from the 2 kits.

It's a 2 story colonial, I haven't measured it but I bought 2 soot eater kits and they don't reach the top. If I remember right each kit is 18 feet.

I'm in a 3.5 story colonial, and my pipe isn't 40 feet! What's your roof pitch and house depth?

If your house is large at 30 feet deep with 10:12 pitch, and 8' ceilings, with a 30" high collar:

5.5' first floor
1' joists
8' second floor
1' joists
12.5' roofline
3' above roof
======
31' pipe

Ashful thanks for that info.

I would have to say that when I cleaned the chimney I did not use all The rods on the soot eater. I came up with the rough estimate of 40' thinking that I used all the rods in the 2 kits which would be 36 feet.

When I get home I will run the rods up the chimney again to get a better idea of the height.

At what height would a damper be recommended?

Thanks

Anywhere right above the flue collar is fine. Usually about a foot to 18" above is convenient.

Last edited:
I just did a quick check of the soot eater rods. I was using 10 rods, so I would say my liner is just a bit longer then 30 feet. I think ashful was probably right on the mark with his calculations.

Thanks guys for pointing out that I was most likely wrong in my 40' estimate.

So at roughly 30-32 feet would you guys recommend a damper?

Thanks again

I just did a quick check of the soot eater rods. I was using 10 rods, so I would say my liner is just a bit longer then 30 feet. I think ashful was probably right on the mark with his calculations.

Thanks guys for pointing out that I was most likely wrong in my 40' estimate.

So at roughly 30-32 feet would you guys recommend a damper?

Thanks again

Yep. Absolutely.

Reactions: huauqui
I'm not running any damper on mine, at 29 feet. If I were running a non-cat, I suspect I might want a damper on a pipe this tall, but I see no need for it on the Blaze King.

I did buy a damper when I did the stove install, but ended up not using it. It can't hurt anything, but it does add a step to the cleaning process.

Speaking as a man with an F55 and a 26 foot chimney - you will need a damper.

Quick question. I am in the process of getting the stove in today. I bought a stainless T with a 10 inch snout, should I be crimping the end where it connects to the stove? I might be able to get it without but it seems tight.

Thanks

Yes, crimping the end will help it fit better.

Still need to move it a few inches into place. Anyone see a problem with this install? I know I need to get a heat shield for the mantle

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 146