Finally bought it! F55

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I also have a 18" black hearth pad

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 102
Looks like it needs a hearth extension and the aforementioned mantel shield. Blockoff plate in place?

Wow.. tight! I hope that this stove has a convective top, or else you're going to be pumping an awful lot of heat into that masonry. What's behind that stone veneer?

Last edited:
Lick and stick veneer? I actually prefer it not sticking into the room. It was originally a fireplace. Not to sound like a dumb ass but why would I lose so much heat? The stove sticks out of the fireplace and has a block off plate with roxul above it. I am new to this so any opinions are welcome.

Thanks

Maybe I missed a previous post but what is the "wow right" all about. Like I said I am new to this. Any constructive criticism is welcome.

Thanks again

It's a very tight fit which provides little room for air to convect over the top of the stove and out into the room. Is there a blower on the stove?

Some stoves have a convection top or lid above the actual stove body. This presents a channel for the blower air to come out and reduces the heat radiated from the stove top. The Blaze King Ashford, Hearthstone Manchester and Quad Explorer III are examples of convection top stoves. The PE Alderlea are sort of a hybrid with a swiveling trivet top.

The close fit also provides almost no room to attach a shield under the lintel. The stove has a 35" clearance requirement to the mantel. That can be reduced to 17.5" with a proper shield. It looks like that will need to be attached to the bottom trim and then up and out to protect the mantel shelf. The rock face above the stove is going to get quite hot, thus the question about how the stone is affixed. Glue would not be appropriate in that location, lath and mortar is needed.

The stone is mortared on. I understand I need a heat shield.

I thought with the stove sticking out this much I wouldn't have a problem

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 100
The stone is mortared on. I understand I need a heat shield.

I thought with the stove sticking out this much I wouldn't have a problem
That's not too bad. Is that its final position? It was hard to tell from the front view shots.

Reactions: Ashful
What is the preferred what to attach a heat shield just above the stove or on the mantle?
Folks that have a nicely trimmed mantel often like to attach it to the underside of the lintel. Otherwise it needs to be attached to the mantel trim. I'll see if I can find you an example.

I would prefer that it stayed there but I can go a few more inches forward.

I do not have a blower at this time but will most likely get one soon.

Maybe I missed a previous post but what is the "wow right" all about. Like I said I am new to this. Any constructive criticism is welcome.

Thanks again

Lol... autocorrect did the "wow... right". I had typed "wow... tight", based on your first photo looking like it was wedged fully under the lintel, with a scant inch to spare. Your later photo from the side paints a much nicer picture, with the stove out in front. I fixed my post.

The convective top would move more of the BTUs coming off the wood into the room as hot air, radiating less into the stone. In your case, with veneer over a presumably framed wall, you wouldn't be losing a ton of heat via radiation into the stone, but might have concerns over thermal cycling the CTE-mismatched materials, leading to possible mortar failure between veneer and wall. Not typically a problem, if the materials were chosen well, and having it out in front of the wall is much better than jammed directly under the lintel.

"Lick and stick" is the masons nickname for stone veneer. Basically flagstone onto cement board with thinset.

I finally have the stove hooked up, I will be doing the break in fires tomorrow.

I am looking for some opinions on heat shields. If I attach the heat shield to the steel lintel do I still have to use 1 inch spacers? how far does the shield need to stick out past the lintel to protect the mantle trim? The trim is 2 1/2 inches deep?

A friend of mine is making the heat shield for me and I would like to keep it as small as possible.

Any info would be great I really appreciate everyone's help with my install.

Any thoughts on this for a temporary heat shield? Would this be sufficent to lower my clearances to the mantle? After this season I will probably get something made and painted black.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 73
As long as it's the full width of the stove. Spacers only needed if your lintel is combustible, or adjacent to combustibles, such as my wood lintels.