Finally built a splitter over the last year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

farmwithjunk

Sep 19, 2022
PA
Split all of last years wood by hand but no more unless it's small easy stuff for me.

440cc, log lift (bought this pre made), wedge lift with 4 way and 6 way wedge (bought these too), 50 gallon tank, 15/16" beam, 4000 psi lines, heavy axle with 16" wheels and 28gpm 2 stage pump.

Has sub 9 second full cycle but that's for I think 31". The biggest knotted pieces are no match.

IMG_20230902_161629293_HDR.jpg IMG_20230902_203643018.jpg

That is a nice looking splitter! I am sure you can get through a lot of wood with that quick. Did you weld everything together?

Thats wild. Ive got some ideas now to add on to my stock splitter

Reactions: farmwithjunk
Wow, real professional job. Looks like you took a lot of pride in the build. This morning I was doing some re-splitting on my old homebuilt to get small batch of wood sized between kindling and and our larger splits for starting and rekindling the cookstove. While it still splits fine I was thinking how old it‘s lookin and noticing a couple of hoses are dried, cracking and due for replacing. At least the new tires and rims give it a little more cared about look.

Reactions: farmwithjunk
Nice job. The design and fab work look to be top notch. What powers the beast? ( 440 cc doesnt mean much to this old gearhead)

Nice job. The design and fab work look to be top notch. What powers the beast? ( 440 cc doesnt mean much to this old gearhead)
Single cylinder Duromax with electric start. Its probably about 15-16hp but they claim 18hp. Has plenty of power and was mildly worried that it would be underpowered.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jags
A 28 gpm splitter pump requires 14hp minimum. You should be good to go.
Yeah, I wasn't sure about adjusting pump pressures but all is good. Seem to hit bypass around 1800-2000psi.

Its such a joke, and class action lawsuit worthy, that all the retail log splitters would never be capable of anything close to their actual "ratings". They rate them at max the pump could ever do but the valves are pre-set about half of that and cannot be adjusted.

Reactions: sloeffle
Split all of last years wood by hand but no more unless it's small easy stuff for me.

440cc, log lift (bought this pre made), wedge lift with 4 way and 6 way wedge (bought these too), 50 gallon tank, 15/16" beam, 4000 psi lines, heavy axle with 16" wheels and 28gpm 2 stage pump.

Has sub 9 second full cycle but that's for I think 31". The biggest knotted pieces are no match.

View attachment 316221 View attachment 316222
You got the skills man.

A couple questions:
Did you use plastic spacers on the push block?
Why 4000psi lines when bypass is 18-2000psi?
What is the blade material, how is that working out.
Looks like a nice unit.

A couple questions:
Did you use plastic spacers on the push block?
Why 4000psi lines when bypass is 18-2000psi?
What is the blade material, how is that working out.
Looks like a nice unit.

Plastic spacers? No plastic/spacers used. Not even sure what you are referring to.

Bought the wedge pre-made so not sure but appears to be 1045.

Plastic spacers? No plastic/spacers used. Not even sure what you are referring to.

Bought the wedge pre-made so not sure but appears to be 1045.
Some high end splitters have plastic wear blocks where the push plate rides on the beam.

Your splitter looks very well designed and made.

Some high end splitters have plastic wear blocks where the push plate rides on the beam.

Your splitter looks very well designed and made.
Oh the guide would have wear pieces. I can't imagine this would ever wear out in my lifetime. I think at the time the beam/guide plate was too worn the whole setup wouldn't be worth fixing.

That's what I was wondering, that most splitters used to have metal guides and push block material, and I don't recall a lot of worn out parts from it. It's maybe nice to have softer parts that slide, but then they need replacing at 60hrs. The high pressure cylinder hose on my countyline is rated at 5600psi. I'm also putting together a larger home built, and was thinking on using 3000psi lines. The pump, valves and cylinder are rated at 3000psi max operating pressure. Was hoping to get a little information on your reasoning to go higher.

That's what I was wondering, that most splitters used to have metal guides and push block material, and I don't recall a lot of worn out parts from it. It's maybe nice to have softer parts that slide, but then they need replacing at 60hrs. The high pressure cylinder hose on my countyline is rated at 5600psi. I'm also putting together a larger home built, and was thinking on using 3000psi lines. The pump, valves and cylinder are rated at 3000psi max operating pressure. Was hoping to get a little information on your reasoning to go higher.
If they had all the hose in 3k I would have but ended up just doing the (expensive) lines. The valves shouldn't see over 2250 from what I can tell.

Reactions: Sawset