Finally dialed in. 2004 Englander, Thanks Ssyko

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BackDoc

Jan 5, 2018
Maryland
After many trials, mistakes, assumptions and experimenting I think I am finally dialed in. I have an Englander PDV that was manufactured 8/2004. I paid $250 for the stove. Here is what all I have done to it. After purchase I pulled it apart and cleaned/lubed what I could. The first issue was in intermittent exhaust fan and blowing the main fuse. This was remedied by replacing wires to the exhaust blower that had melted and were touching on occasion. The second issue was erratic pellet feed. The solution was the collar slipping on the top auger motor due to the allen nuts being slightly loose. Next came the fan issues. Removed, cleaned, lubed and reinstalled. Next was a hopper that was not feeding. Polished the inside of the hopper. Kinda fixed the problem. Next was removing a section of the blocker plate over the top auger (this model year Englander does not have an adjustable restrictor plate). This really fixed the feed issue. Next came the creaky noise coming from the top auger. Realized that the previous owner installed the motor with the grease fitting at 12 oclock instead of 9 o'clock. Unbolted the motor and rotated it and retightened and lubed which corrected that issue. Next came the air feed issue. Ssyko explained how to do the leaf blower trick. Ssyko walked me through blocking off the holes and modifying the burn plate. I was using foil to block the bottom holes and the holes at the front of the burn plate. I have since made it permanent with magnets and used stove cement on the holes on the burn plate. Did the drill out of the holes in Ssykos diagram. Done. Next came the realization that the bottom auger was turning at 1.5 RPM's instead of 1 RPM. Fiddled with the low feed settings and now have the stove at 2/8 burning a bag per 20-22 hours keeping the house at 72 degrees on the main floor with the stove in the basement. Im satisfied with this and I think I am done tinkering. I just keep it clean and enjoy the heat. I have put many trouble free bags through the stove and think I did Ok for a $250 initial investment. Thanks again Ssyko for the help and to quote him: "Is it really clean?"
I am not really that mechanically inclined and I couldn't have gotten to where I am without the help of Ssyko and others on this forum. Don't give up on your old stove. Figure it out.

Wow thanks BD. all we really did was pass on a little knowledge YOU did the WORK, spent the time and $$ but you didn't let the stove be intimidating. now the best part! "YOU KNOW YOUR STOVE!!!"