Finally found out what a hoe is for!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
...so you have scrounged another load of wood and loaded it in the pickup. You start unloading but it is those last few pieces in the middle by the cab that are tough to reach. When you are 60+ it is tougher to keep jumping in and out of the bed. The answer? The hoe I got 40 years ago and have never used. I use it now to reach in the bed and pull some of the rounds toward me where I can get 'em and pile them up!!!

So in short - a hoe is good for reaching into your bed and pulling your log? Good idea.

my grandfather used to have a custom made tool for pulling logs out of the back of the truck. I will have to ask my dad if he still has it!

That's a good idea

There have been times when I've cut yard trees for others and they want everything removed including the tops and brush etc. So I put a heavy rope on the bottom of the utility trailer hanging out both sides, and load logs and brush together. When my trailer is full I tie the rope around the pile of brush and logs. When I get home I anchor my rope to a tree and drive forward and everything pulls off the trailer including most logs. Probably common trick most people use. Would work with a truck too.

Nice idea. I've noticed our Tacoma Screw rep at work does this.

He keeps our bins of fasteners stocked up for us, and I assume does rounds to other businesses, so he loads his pickup with boxes and boxes of fasteners and uses a hoe to pull them back to the tailgate.

Very useful hint. I have had this problem before.