Finally going to happen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AndrewU

Burning Hunk
Dec 1, 2019
Sedro-Woolley WA
We're working on the details for money and construction, but after many years of wanting a wood stove it's actually going to happen. Hoping to actually buy something in the spring when prices are hopefully a little better, but certainly by next fall.

A couple questions for the hive mind.

Top contenders right now for a stove are the BK Ashford 30 and Pacific Energy Alderlea T6. What I like about the Ashford is the reputed long burn times and even heat output. The thing I like about the T6 is the lack of catalyst maintenance, and ability to cook on the top surface.

But, what other stoves should I be considering? Total size of the house is 2900sf, but the master bedroom and bathroom don't need to be heated by the stove. Upstairs is just a bonus room, and might be a challenge to heat with the stove. So maybe 2200-2300 needing to be heated. 10' ceilings, pretty good insulation, good double pane windows, though doors are a bit leaky (planning on fixing those). We do have a heat pump, so although I'd like wood to become a majority of the heat source, it's not the only way to heat.

Budget is $10k. That will need to include the stove (plus blower and OAK), all exhaust pipe, permit, installation (can diy as much as my insurance company allows), and demolition/construction where the stove will be located. Need to measure but probably going to need about 20' of pipe to meet code requirements. Obviously that budget will not cover a really fancy build out, but for a normal middle class home does that seem reasonable?

For reference, I live in the northern Puget Sound area. Main woods available to burn are red alder, birch, and big leaf maple. A little hemlock and cedar sometimes. I can probably supply my own wood from the property for many years.

Assuming you are looking at cast-iron clad stoves. Also take a look at the Jotul F50 and F55 and the Quadrafire Explorer III.

Not necessarily only looking at cast iron clad. I'm ok with anything that my wife likes the looks of. Need to get her in front of a few, and in some ways hope she likes soapstone better in person than pictures.

Before we suggest stoves you need to find out everything else. You don’t know if you are going to have 500 or 4K left to buy the heater. Is this going into an open corner or do you have something you need to demolish and rebuild to install? Are you on a slab? Will the pipe go up through the 2nd floor or will there be access to roof?

It's going to replace an existing gas fireplace that we don't like. The flue run is established, though obviously all that pipe has to be replaced as the gas rated pipe can't be used for a wood burner. We'll have to demolish the existing fireplace and reconstruct a hearth for a wood burner. It will be either totally open or a slight alcove. There's an attic but no second story room to go through.

I can DIY everything except the roof work (scared of heights, and wife isn't strong enough to do it) and anything my insurance company requires a pro to do (hopefully just the final hook up and inspection).

Not on a slab. But plenty of access from below to add reinforcement if necessary for floor strength.

It's going to replace an existing gas fireplace that we don't like. The flue run is established, though obviously all that pipe has to be replaced as the gas rated pipe can't be used for a wood burner. We'll have to demolish the existing fireplace and reconstruct a hearth for a wood burner. It will be either totally open or a slight alcove. There's an attic but no second story room to go through.

I can DIY everything except the roof work (scared of heights, and wife isn't strong enough to do it) and anything my insurance company requires a pro to do (hopefully just the final hook up and inspection).

Not on a slab. But plenty of access from below to add reinforcement if necessary for floor strength.

.... Yep, build everything out how you want it then save for a stove. You could easily use most of that money building an alcove, reinforcing floor, and buying the pipe.

What size pipe for the gas stove?

got any pictures? We might be able to give you some design ideas.

Not sure on size of gas pipe. Most likely smaller than wood rated pipe. So yes, that may be a complication if clearances are minimal already for the gas pipe. But, can probably shift things a few inches easily if necessary to avoid adding elbows to the run of the pipe.

All the stone and the oak mantle would go away from what is shown in the picture. The bump out could be removed entirely up to the ceiling, modified to an alcove, partially removed with a flat wall or alcove below roughly the height of the picture, etc. I'm open to suggestions.

That fireplace does work, it just doesn't throw any noticable heat if you're more than a few feet away from it (even with the fan running), and we just aren't a fan of it regardless of the heat output. And it uses a prodidegous amount of expensive propane.

Attachments

• IMG_20191202_200726.jpg
    IMG_20191202_200726.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 127
If an alcove is in the plans, the stove clearance requirements may determine stove choice.

Total size of the house is 2900sf, but the master bedroom and bathroom don't need to be heated by the stove. Upstairs is just a bonus room, and might be a challenge to heat with the stove. So maybe 2200-2300 needing to be heated. 10' ceilings, pretty good insulation, good double pane windows, though doors are a bit leaky (planning on fixing those). We do have a heat pump, so although I'd like wood to become a majority of the heat source, it's not the only way to heat.

Will all areas of the house that are not heated by wood be warm enough to avoid freezing pipes? It is always part of the plan to consider where your thermostats and water pipes are located in relation to the areas heated by your wood stove.

Will all areas of the house that are not heated by wood be warm enough to avoid freezing pipes? It is always part of the plan to consider where your thermostats and water pipes are located in relation to the areas heated by your wood stove.

Not a concern. For one that room is kept cool/cold a lot as it is, and we're still going to run heat pump at times.,

So, swmbo called a dealer for BK. Played a bit of 20 questions with the guy there. Sounds like we might be better off putting the stove somewhere other than where the gas fireplace currently sits. Sounds like we could save quite a bit by setting a wood stove next to an exterior wall as it would reduce the amount of chimney pipe.

There's a spot we're considering in the same room as that fireplace. We have a set of French doors leading to a deck, with an adjacent angled wall that has another door in it. That door has been damaged for a while (according to a neighbor some allegedly prospective buyers forced entry before we bought it on a short sale) and we never fixed it because we were trying to decide what to do, then it fell off the priority list. But even if it were in perfect condition we've been discussing eliminating it anyway as it's not needed and never really been used. Anyway, thinking about taking out that door and framing it in and perhaps putting a window there. Then put the stove in front of it or between where the door is now and a bank of windows.

Thoughts?