**Finally going to purchase our stove!! (Osburn 2300)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Quick update... the dealer came out today. He's going to get back to us with costs on purchase and install for the Osburn 2300 insert.

*A couple things. Of course he said the block off plate wasn't needed, but I told him I was still going to do it. Our flue is actually offset to the right. So plan it to have the hole in the BOP off to the right just under the flue opening. The installer said they would run the liner through the hole in the BOP and connect the liner to a 45 degree elbow, that would connect to the top of the insert. Does that all sound about right?

Also - since we're still going to use our fireplace on the main floor, I brought up the fact that we'll need to extend the pipe out of the top of the chimney to prevent any smoke from downdrafting back into the house. He suggested extending the clay flue. That was kind of odd to me. Wouldn't it be easier to just install a stainless extension pipe of some kind? I'm sure someone on here has done this. Any pics out there?

Thanks again!
Awesome, exciting news. Smart decision on the block off plate, too.

Regarding the adapter, the installer probably knows just what he'll need, a 45° won't impact your draft one bit but will make it possible to connect the liner to the stove.

I think I'd try to extend the chimney with the stuff Begreen referred you to in his post.

Congrats and keep the updates coming, please.

Hey all - it's been a while, but we've finally made a decision. So, we’ve decided on putting a wood stove in the basement. We’re going with the Osborn 2300 stove on legs.

https://www.osburnwoodstoves.com/Osburn_2300_Osburn_Stove_Osburn_Wood_Stove_p/obo2301.htm

We want a stove because we love having fires and we want to offset some of our propane costs. Oh - and just a heads up, I know what seasoned wood is and how important it is - and yes I own a moisture meter. Figured I’d get that out of the way first. I also understand that heating the upstairs might be a challenge - that's ok. We really want a fire in the basement!

Some quick info… House is a large ranch with an open stairwell to the basement. The basement steps are 20’ from the base of the hearth. The house was built out of Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF), so insulation is really good. I actually like the fact that an Outside Air Kit can be added to the 2300. Just in case we need it down the road. I’ve attached a floor plan for reference. I’ve also attached a few pics of the hearth, one showing a card board “drawing” I used to help visualize the stove in the space.

Our hearth measures: 35” wide x 34” h x 45” d (back wall to hearth edge).

The 2300 measures: 25.75” w x 33” h x 34.875 d (ash lip tp intake piece)

I wanted to post in the forum again really just to make sure I’m not forgetting or overlooking anything. I’ve always gotten great feedback on the forum, so basically looking for more before finally pulling the trigger. I’d like to know if you think the prices I’m finding are good/bad. I am getting a purchase and install price from a local company next week - so will let you know what they say.

Stove alone is listed at $1,849 on the Osburn site. Does that price sound about right?

I called Osborn customer service - mainly because I was just curious how helpful they could be in case having to call in the future. The guy I talked to seemed like he knew what he was talking about and helpful. *One thing - I asked if he knew what a block off plate was. He said yes, but suggested stuffing Roxul into the opening instead. I still plan on going with the block off plate - but curious if stuffing Roxul is a viable option? Any thoughts?

On the Osborn site, there is an option to purchase a Thermodisc. Is that worth buying? It says that it’ll turn the blower off when the stove gets cold.

The site has the blower included with the stove purchase, however we don’t have an outlet within 8’ of the stove. Do you think I should buy the heat powered stove fan for $120?

Obviously, we're going with an insulated liner - any suggestions on where to get the best deal?
It's about 22' from the top of the chimney to the base hearth surface.

Any other purchase suggestions out there?

I've included a pic of the stove (going all black). I’ve also included the stove specs.

I really appreciate any and all suggestions/feedback!

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 222695 View attachment 222696 View attachment 222697 View attachment 222698
Hey Bs- We've been waiting around for you to come back with an update. I'd be thrilled to hear how you are doing with your stove situation.

Reactions: allan5oh
Well... no real or true conclusion, so was holding off on posting anything. Since you asked - here's what the dealer came back with - which I think is kind of a joke. As he put it, here's the breakdown... (via voicemail - not sure why I can't get an itemized list in writing?) Anyway...

All black Osburn 2400 with insulated "flue system" = $4,819.

Couple things...

*He never mentioned if that included installation, although I assume it did.
*$175 for brushed nickel trim.
*It will need a custom surround given the height of our opening - but didn't provide the actual price.
*Needs to get with his "mason guy" to raise the flue - looking at $495, just in materials! - Nope I'll buy the extension!

That's $5,489 - not including the cost of the custom surround or labor on the flue extension! In the end we'd probably be look at $6,500 to $7,000.

I'd think I could get the insert, liner and the extension for around 3K!

So that's where things stand. I'm going to reach out to another guy that installs for a quote and go from there. Thought is to just buy the insert, liner and extension - have it shipped to the house and find someone to help install - or do it myself if necessary.

Any feedback or advice is appreciated!

Thx!

Well... no real or true conclusion, so was holding off on posting anything. Since you asked - here's what the dealer came back with - which I think is kind of a joke. As he put it, here's the breakdown... (via voicemail - not sure why I can't get an itemized list in writing?) Anyway...

All black Osburn 2400 with insulated "flue system" = $4,819.

Couple things...

*He never mentioned if that included installation, although I assume it did.
*$175 for brushed nickel trim.
*It will need a custom surround given the height of our opening - but didn't provide the actual price.
*Needs to get with his "mason guy" to raise the flue - looking at $495, just in materials! - Nope I'll buy the extension!

That's $5,489 - not including the cost of the custom surround or labor on the flue extension! In the end we'd probably be look at $6,500 to $7,000.

I'd think I could get the insert, liner and the extension for around 3K!

So that's where things stand. I'm going to reach out to another guy that installs for a quote and go from there. Thought is to just buy the insert, liner and extension - have it shipped to the house and find someone to help install - or do it myself if necessary.

Any feedback or advice is appreciated!

Thx!
Sorry to hear this. But there is a bright side.

I'd do exactly what you are thinking- order the stove, chimney liner, and insulation, online. Then, either hire an installer, or diy. Don't worry about the surround. It's completely cosmetic, and can be done at your leisure.

Installers will be more flexible on pricing once it's warm. Demand for their services goes way down, soon.