Finally going to really test the stove and wood out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 18, 2009
MB
In checking the forecast this morning I see that we are set to hit the deep freeze this weekend with lows creeping down to -33 celsius and lower this weekend.

Good thing that we loaded the woodbox with mostly rock hard bone dry ash last night. We also stacked a pile of wood outside the basement window to be ready for the need to go through more wood for a little while.

The neighbours and I worked a deal yesterday for a bit of wood to help them through. They just just a beautiful new Napoleon Wood Gourmet and due to work they have not had time to cut their firewood down to size as their old stove took much longer wood. We have a great rapport with our neighbours and I am only a wee bit jealous of their new stove :)

I also tipped them off to Hearth.com

Yes, that cold is coming our way too but we have some moderation because of the Great Lakes. Still will be very cold.

lowroadacres said:
down to -33 celsius and lower this weekend.

Speak English would ya? ;-P

Lets see - eleventy 3 plus 6, carry the one - thats -27F. Yep - thats coooold.

I sometimes go online to do the conversion but didn't bother this time.

Yep, there is no risk this week of our backyard rink melting.

While we do not heat the entire house with our small stove it is incredible the difference it makes.

If I was really disciplined I would be getting my butt out of bed in the middle of the night tonite to reload the stove. We had to do that in the old house we heated with an Olsen wood electric. I still kick myself for not having installed a wood electric furnace in this house.

The next best thing will be the insert on the main level when we can get to it.

You have enough tools there to keep you all warm, I bet the crosscut would keep you warmer than any old chain saw. No need for gas either.

Good Luck stay warm

ok I'll bite...where is it -27f tonight? Arctic circle?

Jags said:
lowroadacres said:
down to -33 celsius and lower this weekend.

Speak English would ya? ;-P

Lets see - eleventy 3 plus 6, carry the one - thats -27F. Yep - thats coooold.

Not to be nit picky but I think it's -27.4F. That's even colder. :)

As usual the forecasters were wrong.... It only got to minus 25 or so Celsius so minus 13 Fahrenheit give or take....

We live at Brandon, MB 2 hours straight West of Winnipeg.... We are pretty much straight north of Rugby, North Dakota.

Our temperatures in January will often reach the wonderful point where it is minus 40 on both C and F.

Interestingly enough our Black lab woke me up at 2"30 in the morning so I reloaded our little stove and woke up to a fairly warm house. We set the furnace thermostat at 19-20/68-70 and run the stove fairly hard to keep the heat coming up from the basement through a combination of the wide open stairwell, a fan safely set behind the stove and a high cold air return in the rec room where the stove is that enables the furnace to draw that air and to move it throughout the house.

We won't know for sure until the end of winter what our stove saved us in heating costs but I can tell you that it is certainly making a significant difference to the feel of our home while we keep the furnace thermostat set much lower than in years past in weather like we are experiencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.